Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of goes along with my last "how many miles" question.

Looks like there's not many people that are out of warranty

Anybody spring for the extended variety, and if so, GM or aftermarket? What kind of prices are you seeing?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got in in the "just in case of" situation. I don't plan on driving the goat much....but if something goes wrong it will help out.

7yr/70k miles thru GM was 3999

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
noz34me said:
Kind of goes along with my last "how many miles" question.

Looks like there's not many people that are out of warranty

Anybody spring for the extended variety, and if so, GM or aftermarket? What kind of prices are you seeing?
I think too many people are trying to keep the factory warranty valid to worry about an extended one.

But me personally I did not. I had a Firebird for 6 years and I only put 22k miles on it. So it did not make sense. But if the car was a daily driver and I was planning on doing nothing to it through its years then I would spring for the GMPP extended warranty.

DO NOT GET ANYTHING OTHER THAN GMPP!!!!! All the others are BS!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I did, primarily because of GM's shameful 3/36 warranty. What a joke. I got GM's 100k mile warranty, which will in my case not last two years.

I pile on the miles...though I will only use the extended warranty if something catastrophic occurs to the drivetrain...I've pretty much buggered factory warranty on everything else. :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
HELL NO!! What a waste. I'll take my chances. That's free money for someone else. Most cars' bugs work out early in their lives. Plus, you have to have one pretty major issue to have it pay off. So far Groucho is the only person on this forum who had a major issue with a GTO.

I had one with my previous car and shortly there after sold it back at a slight loss, but still like $900. Kept that car 8 years and never needed the warranty. So in that case I made a good decision.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Another reason I opted for the GM extended warranty- my last GM product, a 1991 S10 4.3l V6 pickup, attempted to hurl a connecting rod though the block, which is Very Bad thing. The truck had 95k miles on it at the time.

As I noted, this car will never see the inside of a GM service department unless another catastrophic failure occurs. It has been my experience that the level of incompetency and a general atmoshpere of not-giving-a-sh1t at these dealers is rivaled only by the Post Office and DMV.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Groucho said:
Another reason I opted for the GM extended warranty- my last GM product, a 1991 S10 4.3l V6 pickup, attempted to hurl a connecting rod though the block, which is Very Bad thing. The truck had 95k miles on it at the time.

As I noted, this car will never see the inside of a GM service department unless another catastrophic failure occurs. It has been my experience that the level of incompetency and a general atmoshpere of not-giving-a-sh1t at these dealers is rivaled only by the Post Office and DMV.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you on that one. Service is one of the primary reasons GM struggles like it does with its reputation on reliability. My friend had a transmission wind and grind on his sequoia and they completly replaced the entire thing and had him out of there in two days.

If the same thing happened on a Yukon they would try to repair it 19 times and then decide that they will replace it after you invested 892 hours and 1342 cups of coffee in the service waiting room.

Serivce sucks. Unless you know someone or are friends with one of them.

ALSO - Groucho is not the only one with major problems, several have had to have their transmissions swapped, suspension changes, etc. The car has its fair share of bugs. But its a high performance machine, so some of it is expected.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Here is my list of "minor" problems.....
2 trannys
3 c.v. shafts
1 driveshaft
2 stub shafts
1 clutch
1 slave cylinder
1 power steering pump
1 ignition key cylinder
1 rear sway bar link
1 rear sway bar
..... that's all I can remember, granted I actually drove my car the way I felt it should have been driven, it didn't do all that bad. Trust me when I say that all cars are gonna have their problems, and I'm not the only one that has had issues.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got there 5yr 40,000 mile warranty for $700 from Ken Fitchner.I plan on putting about 3,000 miles a year on her. He's a dealer that sells GM extended warranties at wholesale prices.The dealer I bought my car from wanted $2100 for the same one.The only thing is I don't think I 'll ever use it unless something major breaks and even then I would be leary about leaving her at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GTODEALER said:
Here is my list of "minor" problems.....
2 trannys
3 c.v. shafts
1 driveshaft
2 stub shafts
1 clutch
1 slave cylinder
1 power steering pump
1 ignition key cylinder
1 rear sway bar link
1 rear sway bar
..... that's all I can remember, granted I actually drove my car the way I felt it should have been driven, it didn't do all that bad. Trust me when I say that all cars are gonna have their problems, and I'm not the only one that has had issues.
Holy Smokes!

I thought I was buying a reliable performance car. I doubt I'll ever push this car to the max, but I did plan on keeping it for maybe 5 or 6 years.

Extended warranty is looking pretty good.

·
Registered
202 Posts
They are a total waste of time to me, I drive 5-7k miles a year in my car. I bought one with the Mits Galant I had a few years back and decided before the factory waranty was up that it was going to be a waste, they only offered to refund half my money. Their argument was once I purchaced the waranty it "took over" as my factory waranty, and I had used half of it. Bunch of crap if you ask me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Are squeaks and rattles that drive me f****** crazy covered?

Don't get me wrong, I love my goat, but I am a slightly (?) anal person (ask my wife).

Driver's seat creaks when I go through turns, steering wheel makes a 'vinyl on vinyl' rubbing sound after you drive the car more than 15 miles at a time and I've been into the dealership twice to have a creak in the clutch fixed. Now when I let the driver window auto-roll down it's creaking too.

Within the first couple months I had to make the dealer (kicking and screaming mind you) replace the interior passenger door panel because the suede kept pulling away from the panel. They tried to re-glue it twice before I finally put my foot down and demanded a new panel. Even the new panel has bubbling under the suede. (At the same position that the driver side does)

Dealernut, since you seem to be at least dealer-affiliated, am I whining or do I have legitimate gripes. In my opinion if I spend over 30 grand for a car such as this, I should reasonably be able to expect it to be free of this annoying shet for at least a full year. What do you think?

I don;t want to be the 'boy who cried wolf' in case mahor issues pop up but Jesus man, I'm going frickin' batty here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Because my car came from The Price is Right TV show, it was brand new bought from a 72 year old guy that won it and it was delivered to his door with 12 miles. I bought mine from a Toyota dealer and HATE Pontiac so said screw them and the sh*ty GM service and bought and extendo that starts at day 1 from Toyota. It is zero deductable good for 7 years 100K miles and I only have to go to an ASE cert shop, which by the way the speed shop that does ALL my work is. So as soon as my rear end starts it's goofey noises...BAM I got a new 3.91 rear end god I love Toyata. Anyways like all of told me when I was getting the car the weakest part of this fantastic car is the DEALER I went with someone elses warranty, also I only paid cost, $1093.00 for the extendo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
:agree Bluebomber has a point. If we are going to modify our cars, or at least drive the crap out of them, doesn't it make sense to "waste" the money on an extended warranty now so that when you destroy something expensive its all swapped out for free later. Particularly drive train components.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I agree Blue, I really didn't specify that my car had tons of crap done to it and was drag raced regularly..... that's one of the reasons that I said it wasn't that bad, I wouldn't say I abused the car... I just found all of the weak links.:D
And, btw, I didn't get an extended warranty for the simple reason of modding my car, if you do this it's pointless. If I was going to get an extended warranty from GM, it would be GMPP.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
GTODEALER said:
I agree Blue, I really didn't specify that my car had tons of crap done to it and was drag raced regularly..... that's one of the reasons that I said it wasn't that bad, I wouldn't say I abused the car... I just found all of the weak links.:D
And, btw, I didn't get an extended warranty for the simple reason of modding my car, if you do this it's pointless. If I was going to get an extended warranty from GM, it would be GMPP.

HAHAHA!!!!! I love the Avatar Steve!!!!!!Reminds me of Adam Sandler in the movie Bullet Proof "DINNEYLAND!!!!! DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!"

MeanGoat - Your concerns are valid, bacause I personally have never heard a GTO make the noises you described. If it is out of the ordinary for the vehicle then it needs to be addressed. My opinion is to take to to a service department and speak with their head service manager. Sit him down and "talk TO" him. Don't talk down to him or bitch to him. Just tell him your issues and try to be accomodating on your side so he can be accomodating on his side. Tell him you will help in any way, be accomodating with your schedule(if possible) and tell him he is guaranteed good survey scores if you are treated well.

The suede coming off is a common problem with the 05's for some reason. I have not seen one 04 with the problem.

Now if the dealership is being a dick and will not assist you then hammer them on their CSI(customer survey) and go to another of the 2000 dealerships that can help with the car.

But remember. Creaks and rattles can be hundreds of things in a car. Especially a mass produced car. It can/will take some time for them to find them all. AND the GTO is an unusual car to most service techs so it might take some time for them to get it right. The aussies build their cars backwards(that was a bad joke).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I didn't buy the warranty when I got the car but as long as you have less than 12000 miles you can get it at the same rate as new. I'm at 10500+- and seriously looking at it.. I 've had them before from Ford (and they paid for themselves many times over). Didn't on my 02 Camaro but the basic warranty got used quite a bit but that's a much lower class car than the goat. My concern is I have a strange noise (almost harmonic vibration sound) when changing gears about about 3500/4000 rpms.. you can hear it "wind down) when shifting.. dealer was great to drop tran (6 speed) and go thru it but found nothing... gm techs told them to tell me to shift at shift points in the manual (yeah, like that's going to happen) (which is basically what the mechanic told them too...) and way.. I plan to keep the goat for a while and i'm putting less miles on it now (prefer to drive the old 94 ranger to work in bad weather).. My deal offerer me a "discount" price but still too high.. Found another dealer close that offered for 100 over cost which looking at the numbers quoted and the onlline "discounted" warranties seems about right. I want the GM Major Guard (local dealer mechanics said he had no trouble with them.. he could just replace part knowing it was covered UNLIKE the 3rd party the sales group liked to push which he said required him to call, get it inspected, etc then maybe fix)...... With the cost of an engine or tranny in these things I think it might be good insurance... I don't abuse the goat but I don't baby it... and I'll get with a bonus (free money) or my tax refund... I am looking at around 5yr 75k plan.. figure if I haven't broke it by then I'll be okay... agree with Groucho.. 36 36 is a joke....

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dealernut I just wanted to say thanks for posting the reply. I really needed some outside help on this one.

It's funny you should mention sitting down and 'talking to the dealer' because thats exactly the same thing I was planning on doing. You can catch more flies with honey than vineger (No I'm not THAT old to be using that expression (27)) I was always say and I always like to try that approach before be a dickhead.

Thanks again. It is appreciated.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.