Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bench seat but I'd like to install some safety harnesses instead of just lap belts. Every once in awhile i want to take curves and do other things (unmentionables) and the lap belts just don't cut it. Also, my passengers get scared a little since they've never not had the shoulder straps. I think I could use a 4-point safety harness. I belive all of my eye bolts will work out, I'll just have to make a few adjustments until they fit around the seats right. I don't think I could use a 5 or 6 point. So has anyone ever installed any before or know of any good 4 points? I don't need the best and cam locks and such, just more support. Thanks.
- Judson

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
I have a bench seat and five point harness. The shoulder belts mount to the roll bar on mine and I don't really use the submarine belt, although I've considered having an upholstry shop put a slot in the lower cushion for it. I don't race actively on a sactioned track in competion so it's not really necassary.

The belts I use are RCI. Be aware that most NHRA santioned tracks require replacement or recertification of harnesses every 2 years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a rollbar or anything. almost stock interior. Do you think the four point could bolt to the eye bolts on the side and the middle of the seat for the lower ones and then the eye bolts on the floor for the upper bolts?

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
You can anchor them to the floor but I would do some serious reenforcement to wherever you attach the shoulder harness and use the stock mounting points for the lap belts.

They do offer floor mount or rollbar mount.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Stock does'nt use "eye bolts". Post a picture of what you intend to use. I would use only grade 8 hardware.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Do not run the shoulder harnesses from the floor and over the top of the seat. In a wreck when you go forward the harnesses will pull down on your shoulders and compress your spine and cause more damage then not having them at all. Either mount the shoulder harnesses off of a roll cage, or just see if you can get a stock 3 point harness, if you have the upper shoulder bolt mount.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Do they make regular harness bars for these cars without having an actual cage? I've never looked into it, but it could be an option. I agree not to run them to the floor because of the aforementioned possible problems. I've also read several different opinions saying that with a 4pt, submarining is a really big issue to consider whether you race or not. Accidents happen on the street too. There's a lot of info on it if you search. I have never used a 4pt myself, just either factory or 5pts, so I can't personally speak on the matter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't had time to take the pics, but is there any way to have harnesses without having roll bars or anything? i really don't want to put a roll bar in. Just wondering.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
When you run a 4 point without a cage, if you go under a trailer, or roll the car, the seatbelts will keep you upright and keep you in harms way. With a typical 3 point belt, you can roll to the middle of the car and get out of harms way. I say 4 points are for roll cages only..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts