Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear some different exhausts... I really enjoy the sound of Corsa exhausts on Corvettes. Not too loud, not too quiet either. Real nice sound.

I found an SLP exhaust for the GTO on ebay for $530.00, which seems like a hell of a buy. X-pipe and all.

Any input/feedback from those of you who have, or have heard these exhausts, please let me know. Thanks all!

-Brian F.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry No Sounds For You, But The Slp Exhaust Sells For $699 On Their Website So $530 Sounds Like A Good Buy. The Slp Kit Maintains The Factory Appearance Though Were A Corsa Has 1 Big Tip Exiting Instead Of 2.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I also noticed that Borla retains a similar looking dual exhaust like the factory unit.

This SLP deal is very tempting...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm Leaning Towards The Slp Cat-back Exhaust Myself, But I'll Have To Wait. I Just Bought Some Aftermarket Wheels And The Wife Wouldn't Be Too Happy If I Put Something Else On The Card. I Read An Article On The Slp Exhaust Out Of High Performance Pontiac Magazine And It Looked Sweet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just my opinion... before you purchase an exhaust, it's a good idea to hear it in person. However... that requires some one to be first buyer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which is the exact reason I made this post! haha, doesn't seem like many people have gone to aftermarket exhausts yet...

·
Registered
33 Posts
My understanding is that the SLP cat-back is 2.5" where the Borla is 3". The Borla isn't shipping yet but should be within the next two weeks. Stainlessworks.net has a sound clip of a GTO with a cat-back...it may even have headers but doesn't say. PFYC.com has a cat-back system that is made by Borla but has a different brand name on it. I've hesitated to buy a cat-back as I don't want anything too loud and I've heard great things about Borla so am waiting until that's out. The GTO sounds great from the factory so I may spend my money on wheels before the Borla ever ships.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's What I'm Doing Glenn. I Ordered A Set Of American Racing Torq-thrust Ii Wheels On Tuesday. The Factory Wheels Had To Go Their Just Too Plain. The Slp Power-flo Exhaust Will Be Next It's Supposed To Be Quieter Than The Loud Mouth 1 Currently Being Offered. With Slp's Work On The T/a Ws6 And The Camaro Ss I Bet It'll Be Pretty Smooth With Plenty Of V8 Sound.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoa, I didn't know SLP was going to offer another quieter exhaust.. I'll wait til that comes out then... unless the Corsa exhaust goes down in price. Corsa is quiet, and sounds great at the same time (on the Corvettes). Borlas tend to be loud, and don't quite have the sound of the corsa does. Flowmaster is probably 2nd best. The one loudmouth system I heard on a C5 was way loud, I don't really want to go that loud, but for the price it's hard to beat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I didn't know the Borla was loud but assumed, from the name, that the Loudmouth would be. I hear the Corsa is great but I don't really care for the single big oval tip coming out the rear.

I really want wheels but think I should get 18" which means I have to buy new tires as well. I already spent $420 for the Predator and probably should have put that toward looks as this car already has plenty of brawn. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you notice much of a difference with the Predator? I've always been curious as to how it works... I sold a few Hypertech programmers a while ago, and hell I didn't fully understand how they work. I'm guessing you just plug it in once, burn the settings that you want, and unplug the unit? So I could basically find a buddy that has one, and just burn the settings into the computer and give it back?

·
Registered
33 Posts
When you plug the Predator in the first time, it does a backup of your factory settings. Then it uploads its own preset 'performance' tune which you can then go and tweak manually. Once you've done that, you can't use the Predator on anyone else's car as it remembers you VIN. If you take the Predator and plug it back in, restore the factory defaults, then you can use it on someone else's car. In simple terms, you can't have the 'performance' tune installed on two cars at the same time.

As for performance, I've never dyno'd my car, but, it does seem to run a little better. I really like the new shift patterns...it gets 2nd and 3rd gear scratch easily and even 4th gear will squeal a little at WOT. I did a little manual tweaking on the shifts but ended up putting it back to the preset 'performance' tune as I thought I got a little too carried away with it and was afraid I might hurt something (it was banging into gears pretty harsh). I only have 700 miles on my car. You can tweak stuff anytime you want in 2 or 3 minutes so I may play on the weekends when I'm in that juvenile delinquent mood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts