Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Mine are tinted as dark as the law allows...and my radio reception is fine. Keep in mind, however, that I'm comparing it to my BMW, which has famously crappy radio reception.

Of course, I mainly listen to XM now... :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
i would bet no goat owners with the "metallic" window tint the manual refers to.

you know the ricey mirrored film, you just can't figure out why anyone would put on their car ?

let alone, law enforcement that can't see the least little bit through.

hell, i tinted 20%, darker than legal, and you can at least see a the outline of someone pointing a gun at you :eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts
1badgto said:
the tint won't effect the reception at all :cheers who ever sead that was not to smart

:willy: It is obvious you know little about window tint. What causes the problem of radio reception is the high level of metal in the high quality tints on the market. This it what reduces fading and heat intrusion If you go to mr $59 window tint, you get what you pay for and in six months you have purple window tint and a little later cracking and peeling. With the higher quality lifetime warranty high heat rejection tints, they will reduce the level of metal to a level which will not cause interference with radio reception for the rear window. If this was not a problem, the industry would not have created a solution for it and it would not state in your owners manual about affecting your reception. :cheers

·
Registered
117 Posts
Solar Guard by Enershield offers low metal content window tinting which greatly improves reception. However, there is no way of circumventing Lenz's Law when it comes to induced currents within a dipole embedded within a conductive medium.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
EdwardC said:
However, there is no way of circumventing Lenz's Law when it comes to induced currents within a dipole embedded within a conductive medium.
Hey, I was going to say that exact same thing! It was only my complete and total lack of knowlege as to whatinthehell you're talking about that stopped me!

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
386 Posts
westell said:
i would bet no goat owners with the "metallic" window tint the manual refers to.

you know the ricey mirrored film, you just can't figure out why anyone would put on their car ?

let alone, law enforcement that can't see the least little bit through.

hell, i tinted 20%, darker than legal, and you can at least see a the outline of someone pointing a gun at you :eek:
Not true, there are 2 here in my area alone. 1 red, 1 blue, each with matching color fade mirror tint.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Groucho said:
Hey, I was going to say that exact same thing! It was only my complete and total lack of knowlege as to whatinthehell you're talking about that stopped me!

:lol: :lol:

:rolleyes:

An EM wave (radio) induces a current resonance within a dipole antenna. That current then induces a magnetic field within the conductive tint producing a minuscule secondary current that attempts to counteract the direction and magnitude of the original current. The secoundary magnetic field created by the secondary current then interferes with resonance established within the dipole antenna. This interference is detected at all frequencies and contains a flat spectrum (white noise) which we call static. :cheers

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did any of you have a problem with scratching when putting the window down or up..? Just curious... I think there is a felt pad the window tint guys can install to prevent this but it's like $50 labor per door. I'm thinking about getting mine done this weekend, but wanted to know if I should tell the guy about the scratching if there is any.

Thanks in advance.
Vince :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
SFLGOAT said:
Just tell the shop who is tinting it about the antenna in the rear. Any reputable shop will know what you are talking about and have the proper film for your rear window which will not affect reception.

:cheers
That's right, they'll know.

Then, be sure it's written up on the work order to install the nonmetallic film on the rear window. Point it out to the guy who drives the car around back to the service area. Then walk back there and ask the installer which film he's installing or installed. Then, walk back around to the front office and tell them you specifically instructed them to install the nonmetallic film. They'll ask you who you talked to about the film. Tell them never mind that--just read the work order. They'll tell you it doesn't make any difference and that you're the first person to ask for it. And besides, it's not as dark as the metallic film and most people don't like it. Then, you tell 'em shut the **** up and get busy and start soaking the wrong film off before it dries and damages the defogging strips when they remove it. Otherwise, there'll be two problems.

That was my experience. Some shops never get it right on the first try.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.