Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey'all, I'm in the middle of replacing the front coil springs on my 66/67 400cu.in. T.H.400 street strip GTO, and I need to know how much the front end weighs, for specific spring selection. Stock weight specs should be ok, as all I've changed weight wise, is trunk mounting the battery, headers, and an alum. intake, so I'll just calculate the difference. Anybody have a clue?

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
I can hazard a guess but the best would be to find a local stock car guy and scale it. I did mine years ago, they put a scale under each tire on a level surface and it gives you the weight of each corner and a total. I didn't do it but it would be nice for handling to be able to shift things around to achieve a better weight bias. My major components were already in place so I didn't bother.

Weight bias was around 53/47 so if you know your total weight (mine was 3700 lbs with me in it..) and do the math with that percentage = 1961 lbs on the front. Of course everyone's car is a little different (Left and Right are different too) but you could go by a truck scale and get close with that percentage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a recycling plant near here that I could go to, but my goat's dangling on jack stands now. Anyhow, I just wanted a ballpark figure, so this should do fine. Thanks for the input! ...By the way your car totally rocks! I always get a rush watching the first appearance of the red GTO in the "My science project" movie. (of course, yours is obviously waaaay superior!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts