Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running an 18 inch wheel on their 66-67 gto ?? I just like the look of a full wheel well with tire. If so...what's the biggest tire you can get away with ...without any modifications ?? Also thinking of 18 rear and 15 front...Cragars of course !! Thanks ..

·
Registered
440 Posts
235/60-15 donuts. Wheel well filled nicely. The lower sidewall ht of an 18" is going to make for a rough ride. My wife drives a '13 Infinti M with 20's. Stiff sport suspension. I wondered why the stiff ride didn't seem to bother her until I realized her bra took care of that. You can Google 1967 GTO 18 inch wheels and see some cars with them.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
irish I have learned with a similar post that understandably the old timers hate the bigger wheels while the middle age guys are about 50/50 and the young bucks love them bigger. Im in the middle and went with 18x8 front and 18x9 rear. I like the look but also like the original ralley 1 wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
irish I have learned with a similar post that understandably the old timers hate the bigger wheels while the middle age guys are about 50/50 and the young bucks love them bigger. Im in the middle and went with 18x8 front and 18x9 rear. I like the look but also like the original ralley 1 wheels.
Is 59 middle age .....or the back 9...LOL.....I like some sidewall too !!! Just have to see it up and personal ...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
previous comments deleted-I shouldn't post after a certain number of beers- I apologize for my stupid comments and rant.
Much respect given to all on this forum whom are older and wiser than myself. Many of whom have helped, and inspired me to build my car the way I wanted to. So I will respect that you have your car YOUR way.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
A GTO isn't a hot rod and drifting is something you do in a ricer.
That isn't cement in the trunk, it is all the trophies he has collected over the years.
:laugh:
I actually like the guys that run the BTCs up here on their trucks, there is good money in replacing suspension components.
I used to do ORV recovery but quit because they were all broke dicks with no money, they spent it all on their BTCs.
:rofl:

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Not cement bags, just a trunk full of camping equipment as I was 250 miles from home at the time of this photo......and I drive my GTO's to NOT adapt to the present....I'm going for what it was like in the '60's, which takes me back every time I go out for a drive. Just my preference. That said, Crusty, your car is first rate in my book, and I have nothing but high regards for you and the job you did with it. Different strokes for different folks! My '15 Ford is stock and rolling on stock rubber, and my '61 Corvette is rolling on skinny whitewall bias plies....so when I drive either, it replicates the time and driving experience when these cars were built. I've driven road racers, hot rods, and modifieds, and I like them too. Just prefer my classics the way I like them.(And I love to hate on the big ghetto wheels, too!)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love these discussions. My 65 has been sitting since 1980. My 22 yr old son is the one who has encouraged me to finish what I started. I uncovered , cleaned out the garage and am prepared to start. His first question was why the tiny wheels? 14"

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
previous comments deleted-I shouldn't post after a certain number of beers- I apologize for my stupid comments and rant.
Much respect given to all on this forum whom are older and wiser than myself. Many of whom have helped, and inspired me to build my car the way I wanted to. So I will respect that you have your car YOUR way.
You are forgiven Grasshopper...:) :) ...you are much wiser today

1 - 19 of 19 Posts