Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my commute home on Friday when I came up on a new M3 coupe. We were in some traffic, and he pulled behind me....cool. I was cruising about 65-70, when the lane opened up, so i mash it. He didn't engage. #$%%), oh well heheh. About 5 miles, and he's pacing me, but not close enough to really race. I get off my exit, he's behind me. About a tenth of a mile off the exit, I pull into CVS, and he pulls right in behind me. Turns out I know the guy (an old golf friend). He said, "is that the new GTO?" "400 horse right?" He said he's so used to people challenging them to a race that he wasn't really paying attention, but got in my Goat, checked out the interior and gave me several compliments. "I think I'd have my hands full against this car", he said. :lol:

·
Registered
115 Posts
So far I have only come across one once on a local highway which had traffic and was not a good place to race. Just my luck, oh well, maybe next time. :cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
As a long-time Bimmerhead, I'm itching for a E46 M3 vs Holden confrontation...be sure.

My thought is that a properly tweaked '04 might just edge out an M3....an 05 would dispatch it stock.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've run an M3 before and beat it hands down. Though, it probably was like 2 or 3 years old. I'd welcome a challenge of a new one, just seems like less and less people are challenging each other, the unfriendly officers are really putting a damper on things out here. It could also be the fact of people seeing the GTO tag...makes some of the pony cars and f bodies back away.

·
Registered
314 Posts
79TA&04GTO said:
I've run an M3 before and beat it hands down. Though, it probably was like 2 or 3 years old. I'd welcome a challenge of a new one, just seems like less and less people are challenging each other, the unfriendly officers are really putting a damper on things out here. It could also be the fact of people seeing the GTO tag...makes some of the pony cars and f bodies back away.
:cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I guess it depends on what kind of race you're talking about....in a 1/4 mile stoplight-stoplight race...the advantage is clearly with the GTO. In a canyon-burning excercise of carving through traffic, a stock M3 has a huge advantage against a stock GTO.

That being said, my mod path on my Holden is one which I want to improve all-round performance...power of course but not at the expense of improving the skidpad numbers and braking abilities....

When I'm comfortable with all of the above parameters (I'm almost there....with the addition of yellow Konis, that'll be a huge step in that direction) I'm going to buy a personalized license plate:

M3SLAYR

Bring it on, BimmerBoy.

:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice plates Groucho...I fancy the idea myself as well. Like I read here before though, just in case you ever do lose to someone, especially a race you should have won, and had an off day (God forbit)...you're known because of your plates. So, I probably won't go with the vanity plates myself.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had raced one.We were going about 55, by about 110. I had him by 2 or 3 car lenghts.:rofl:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Groucho said:
Not a good kill.

That's like straffing a playground.
Would not have bothered but I was on the freeway and he kept taunting me. After a few miles of this I Had to show him how inferior he was.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have run an 04 m3 from a roll...and dead stop....from a roll i ate him by about 3-4 cars....dead stop wasnt much better with a victory on my side by about 3....For a car that is so much money and is suppose to be BMW's race version....i say keep it

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I'd love an M3...the handling and balance is unbeliebeable. Overpriced, sure, but those who bag on M3s have obviously never driven one.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have driven several, both manual and auto. BMW has great manual transmissions, but the can keep that damn SMG auto I hate that thing, in my oppinion it shipts like crap

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Groucho said:
I'd love an M3...the handling and balance is unbeliebeable. Overpriced, sure, but those who bag on M3s have obviously never driven one.
I used to stay up late at night and pray for an Mcoupe!!! Now, I envy the man that drives a black one that is Procharged and caged!!!! (Groucho you would be in heaven it's bad ass!!!!!!!!) :cheers

·
Registered
136 Posts
i messed with an M5 on the freeway. There was some traffic, but i could tell he was annoyed. we were flying past cars at 120, neck and neck the whole time...beside the times when a car would merge into a lane. i slowed down because it was not worth hurting someone over... But it was fun... and he did not win, we'll meet again.

·
Registered
316 Posts
ok I finaly raced someone for the first time today, I ran into one of my old customers who has an M3 that he got supercharged and dynoed 416 to the wheel. Come to find out that he had also just gotten another M3 which was bone stock with the European SMG package( much better). We took them out on the highway and started at 40 MPH in second gear. We punched it at the same time, because of the torque of the LS2 I took him off of the roll by about half a car length but from then on we were dead even and let off at about 140 or so. Verdict: If you run an M3 with the SMG package be prepared to lose because he is evenly matched, if you are running one with a standard manual 6 you should win. Either way you should have a damn good time racing one

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had an old customer of mine bring me another one of his cars last night, the first car I did for him was his M3. I pull up to my shop and the first thing he says is " what do you have in that thing", he could not believe that with the way it sounds that it is 100% stock. We talked for a little while and got started working on his car, after we were done putting a Bra on his mother in law's car, I offered to take him for a quick ride in the Goat. He was stoked, his wife on the other hand was not overly excited about it but he still went. We just went up the street from my shop were there is a nice low traffic straight line and did a quick 15 - 70 run, then I took him down a side street and did a controled 180 drift. I offered to let him drive after that but he decided not to so we headed back to my shop. Needles to say he was very impressed by the GTO and even mentioned that he would consider getting one if they still make them in 3 years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts