Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. I have a 69 GTO with a 400. Having my "62" heads highly ported. I'm thinking to take full advantage of the porting I'm going to need to be able to handle more volume than a Performer RPM, but have been reading some pretty mixed reviews about the Torker II. Bad reviews tend to come with folks with 350s that are basically stock. Kind of a no brainer that a Torker II isn't going to work in that case, but with a 400, moderate cam, highly ported heads, hooker pro comp headers, seems like Torker II would be more balanced to the rest of what I have. Of course output is important but I also want to be able to drive the thing around town. Anyone have experience with Torker IIs on modified 400s?

·
Registered
711 Posts
As you mentioned, in a street application, the Torker II is the wrong manifold. Since the stock 400 runs out of steam over 5500 RPM and develops torque down low, the Torker was crippling my stock '67 400. I went back to the stock cast iron manifold and got all my low end torque back. If you're going to be routinely launching at over 3000 RPM, the Torker II should see an advantage.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The torker 2 is for a big cammed low geared beast that needs 3,000pm before she comes to life. I had one in my monte, and although it was ok, it is not for a stock application.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
The best 4bbl intake for an engine less than about 650HP is the factory stock Q-jet intake with, you guessed it, a Quadrajet carb sitting on top of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts