Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn! Filled up with gas, got a car wash, (they're all brushless high-pressure spray type here in austin), heard an odd thump noise, thought nothing of it until I was at a restaurant later on. Filler door snapped clean off at the hinge. At least it's plastic and snapped without causing body damage.

Sooo - make sure your doors are fully latched shut before you go into a car wash - the pressure must have lifted mine up, and the moving sprayer caught on it and snapped it off.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Makes you wonder why, in this day and age of warning lights and buzzers for every conceivable thing on your car, they do not have a fuel filler door open light on the dash. Talk about a mind numbingly simple thing. A filler cap warning light would also serve the greater populace too. How many times have YOU seen people driving down the road with the cap hanging out and the door wide open? Filler caps left on top of pumps? People driving off with the whole damned pump still attached to the car? Nope cant have that, but hey!, we can put a warning light in for Low Washer Fluid! Could you imagine not being warned that you were running low on washer fluid? I think the world would stop.

·
Registered
590 Posts
sorry to hear that. noticed there's not much to them.

but, the reason for the post is GM has bulletin out, and I even got a flier when my 02 SS was delivered.

these "touchless" "laser" washes are too high pressure and GM window and door seals are not designed to not be damaged by them ;)

handwash only for my cars :cheers

·
Registered
590 Posts
Furyan said:
That the right philosophy to have anyway, unless you're able to pay someone else to do it right, by hand, the way you would do it if you had 8 hours per day for a weekend. :cool
I can wash, (with Zaino!), blow water off with gas blower, chamois remainder off in 1 hour.

Add coat of Z2 and remove in another hour. (not including dry time for Zaino)

I usually wash the goat once a week, on the weekend. once during the week if I'm up to if after work.

Then I get to do the wifey's mabliu maxx, and then the big @ss blazer 4x4 maybe every other week. not enough beers in the day :cheers

·
Registered
556 Posts
That fuel filler door is one of the few things I dislike about the goat, too flimsy. That, and the gas cap itself. When filling up, the cap just hangs on the tether, resting right on the fender. Seems like scratches are inevitable. My T/A alows you to hang the cap on the inside of the open filler door, safely out of the way. I think I'm gonna eliminate the tether, and just hold the cap in my hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.