Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have ordered the wrong ARP head bolt kit. I have a 1968 400 with 092 D port heads off a 1966 389. I ordered the 190-3602 kit for the 389 heads. The length and style are different then the original head bolts. Any ideas?
Font Material property Cylinder Gas Metal
Font Gas Test tube Monochrome photography Metal
Water Building Liquid Gas Font
Automotive tire Font Auto part Electric blue Wood
Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Building

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any reason for running the closed chamber heads on the 400? Do you have dished pistons installed? If not, depending on camshaft and valve lift, you may run into clearance issues. And if running the stock type pistons, you will need 100+ octane fuel to deal with the very high compression.
Yes Paul Carter(outstanding engine builder) set me up with correct pistons, camshaft, lifters, etc. I believe I will end up with 9.5:1 compression. Had a 66 389 but found out block was cracked and Paul already had my 092 heads. So he had a 400 block I could used. So with reworked heads, mild cam, 6:1 rockers, ram air exhaust, tri-power, and a few other things should be right at 400 hp. We'll see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any reason for running the closed chamber heads on the 400? Do you have dished pistons installed? If not, depending on camshaft and valve lift, you may run into clearance issues. And if running the stock type pistons, you will need 100+ octane fuel to deal with the very high compression.
Thanks so much for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts