Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happen to love the GTO's styling, but we all know the rap against it is that it's allegedly bland and doesn't stand out.

Well, dadgummit if I didn't just concede that point to the critics!

I was on my way home a couple days ago, creeping along in heavy traffic, when a red '04 GTO motored past in the opposite direction. The driver waved at me. We were nearly doorhandle-to-doorhandle, and I nearly didn't notice this kindred spirit!

Fortunately I recovered my senses in the nick of time and waved back, but I had to laugh at myself. What a dork.

But I guess I also proved that we Goat-herders really do fly under the radar. I also realized what a rarity it is to see a GTO versus other sports/sporty cars. On that very same commute--heck, within the same mile-long section of city block where I spotted the GTO--I saw no fewer than three C5 Corvettes.

Anyway, Mr. Red '04 GTO, if you're out there, I'm sorry I took my sweet time waving back. I'll try to pay more attention.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I for one don't care what other people think the Goat looks like. *I* think it looks sleek and great, that's what matters.

A lot of people like the looks for the new Chrysler 300, I think it looks like (insert fecal reference here).

I *LIKE* driving a rare car. Sure, the mustang looks great. But, it's all but ubiquitous here (Denver). And, it's still slow :lol: .

·
Registered
565 Posts
Personally I have to say the 04 and 05 goats look beautiful. They have just sleek curves and molds in them that give them a sort of intimidating look in my opinion.

The other great thing is because they don't stand out too much, police and car theifs don't usually notice them as much.

A car theif going through a parking lot quickly could very well pass by a GTO and think its a Cavalier... based on what other people have said it looks like.

Also, if a cop is scanning the road, a GTO may be able to go right by him without catching his attention... but watch out for that Spice Red Mustang coming up, it's so nice and flashy everyone knows it's there!

The greatest thing with the GTO's design is that because it isn't very flashy but is very powerful, we have the option to choose when we want to be noticed. Otherwise only die hard car enthusiasts are going to notice a GTO alongside them going down the road with the flow of the rest of traffic.

Stealth + Extreme Power/Performance - Sounds like a winning combo to me!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like being heard but not seen

After driving an 02 Camaro (V6/dual pipes..looked faster than a stock one) that every rice burner wanted to race, it's nice to not have them try all the time because when their engines rev down when they pull up beside you and they hear the goats growl, it's amazing how quiet they get, unless they read the GTO on the back and then they back off... just about everything, the full size trucks, mustangs, most everything tend to quit rumbling their pipes when they a) read 3 little letters on the side of the goat, or they hear that plain looking pontiac rumbling next to them... it's nice to blend in and then go poof out of sight when you punch it.. and i agree it's nice to drive a rare car.. new mustangs (V6) are a dime a dozen, the the new GT are fairly common, vette's everywhere... but I've only seen 3 GTO's in Fort Smith, (I know there are more, but they are pretty elusive).. actually saw one at the library (just like mine (quick silver 05) but it was a automatic where mine is 6 speed...

·
Registered
410 Posts
I love to admire how the reflections flow off the sleek lines of the sculpted body. Its like the GTO absorbs it surroundings and then projects it back at you. I think its beautifully crafted.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
No problem with the styling here. The American magazine writers hate it -- but they're the only ones. Don't let other people do your thinking for you. I get more compliments on this car than any other one I've owned -- and I've owned some pretty darn nice cars.

For example, stayed at the Meadowood resort in the Napa Valley last weekend with the wife. Pulled up by the front door to be near the registration desk. Got there during their evening wine reception. Came back out -- and there were several people milling around the car, wine glasses in hand. And this is in a parking lot with AMG Mercedes, Ferraris and Porsches sitting around like rentals in an airport parking lot.

The bellman who took our stuff up to the cabin said the car looked great. Then the croquet pro stopped as he was passing by and said it was cool -- and we got to talking about his vintage Chevelle. Got back down to the wine reception -- and some executive and his wife who were sitting on the front porch began asking about it.

First question: Did I rent it? Second question: Is that the new G6? I didn't take offense -- as a lot of people don't know a lot about cars. Did mention that it was built in Australia by Holden, sold in Australia, the UK and the Middle East -- and that the build quality and performance put it in the class of high-performance BMW and Mercedes coupes.

He mentioned that the build quality was impressive as he did go over and look at it. His wife said it looked really fun. They they excused themselves for dinner. They walked out to the parking lot -- and took off in one of those new Bentley Continental GT Coupes.

Hope that makes you feel better about the styling.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Consider that even after two years, there still won't be as many on the road as a single year of Corvette production. They will make five times as many Mustangs made in a single year. No wonder seeing another GTO is such a surprise,

·
Registered
144 Posts
I liked the styling from the moment I first saw it and now that I have tweaked it a little bit for my personal taste (no spoiler, split exhaust) I can't think of any way to improve on it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
diverdan said:
I liked the styling from the moment I first saw it and now that I have tweaked it a little bit for my personal taste (no spoiler, split exhaust) I can't think of any way to improve on it.

diverdan - can you post a picture of what the split exhaust looks like on your 04? May run a back-end shot of your GTO and Vette for a while.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I realize this is my own post, but I wanted to chime in. I spent around eight hours washing and waxing yesterday (tried Meguiar's NXT Tech--good stuff) and I totally agree that the GTO is really good-looking. In fact, I derive more reward from running a polishing cloth over its surface than I did my '01 Vette. It's a clean-yet-menacing shape that hunkers down purposefully on its wheels.

One thing that surprises me is that other people appear to regard the GTO as small. When one of my sisters first saw it, she said,"There's 400 horsepower in that little car?" And the other day at work, a co-worker told me I'd passed her in traffic on the way to work. "I saw you fly past in your little car," she said.

Coming from a two-seater, I suppose I thought of the GTO as a much bigger vehicle. But it isn't, really. And if the surprise on my sister's face at learning my "little" car has 400 ponies is indicative of the shock the car causes in the public at large, well, that's a bonus.

·
Registered
565 Posts
GM Kid said:
I realize this is my own post, but I wanted to chime in. I spent around eight hours washing and waxing yesterday (tried Meguiar's NXT Tech--good stuff) and I totally agree that the GTO is really good-looking. In fact, I derive more reward from running a polishing cloth over its surface than I did my '01 Vette. It's a clean-yet-menacing shape that hunkers down purposefully on its wheels.

One thing that surprises me is that other people appear to regard the GTO as small. When one of my sisters first saw it, she said,"There's 400 horsepower in that little car?" And the other day at work, a co-worker told me I'd passed her in traffic on the way to work. "I saw you fly past in your little car," she said.

Coming from a two-seater, I suppose I thought of the GTO as a much bigger vehicle. But it isn't, really. And if the surprise on my sister's face at learning my "little" car has 400 ponies is indicative of the shock the car causes in the public at large, well, that's a bonus.
The goat at first glance appears to be a very small car because it's so sleek and slim in design, but it's actually a good mid-size car. I don't know the exact measurements but I'm pretty sure it's just slightly larger than 2004 or older mustang.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Thank Odin that Pontiaaackkk excercised some restraint. The GTO looks like something an adult would drive. If they gave it the F-Body treatment, I would not have given it a second look.

I think the styling is a little bit 90's (Ford Probe evolved). But the lines and proportions are not all that different from BMW 6 series from the side. You can argue about the front and rear but there's nothing hideous there. Now the Dodge Charger, that grill! EEEEYuck.

Like many of you, I like the fact that the GTO does not scream "Ticket Me", "Steal Me". I don't like attention.

Flashy? No. Attractive? Yes.

Another consideration, I'm senior management in a manufacturing business. I would feel really uncomfortable pulling into the parking lot at work in a 50K + Euro car. With the GTO, I don't really generate much resentment from co-workers. It's American (sort of), it's not flashy, it's not that expensive, and its still really nice to drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Beverly Hills impressed

Rolled into the Beverly Hills hotel Saturday to attend a wedding and had the valets fighting over who was going to park my Goat. The head valet ( a man in his Fifties, did the honors. He's the only one I would trust ) every one was very impressed with it inside and out. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
Another consideration, I'm senior management in a manufacturing business. I would feel really uncomfortable pulling into the parking lot at work in a 50K + Euro car. With the GTO, I don't really generate much resentment from co-workers. It's American (sort of), it's not flashy, it's not that expensive, and its still really nice to drive.
Same here. Big factor for me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I put the matte black stripes to kinda set the car off.

drove 150 to the coast for the 4th, and back again, and in 300 mile trip, no other GTO's seen. that's still one of the coolest things about these Holdens :cool

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I drove from the Orlando area to Key West for the 4th. 400 miles each way. The car has the best seats for a trip. Saw one in the West Palm Beach area, an Impulse blue 05.
I think I was the only GTO in the Florida keys this weekend. Key West has the most forms of transportationof anywhhere. I saw the Conch Train, horse and buggies, tons of Corvettes, Mustangs and Porsches, a Ferrari, a couple of Lamborghini's, a lot of motor scooters, some old street rods, bikes from cheap old junkers to road racing bikes, to a bike that seated 6, but no GTO's. Oh well the highest speed limit in Key West is 35 and most streets are 25, and with the traffic you never get out of 2nd. It would be torture to have one there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.