Pontiac GTO Forum banner

AS$HOLES SELLING THINGS!

2541 Views 73 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Bopman
One thing we all do is SHOP!

Everyone here is a consumer, and we're always looking for performance parts, repair parts, maintenance parts, and old PONTIAC parts! We used to only have the classified ads and the Ames catalogue... and then ebay came along, which was a game changer!

It gave us access to everything, everywhere... and for the first 15 years we had it, it was glorious! All of the sudden, you could get whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted it. It also carried a fair amount of guarantees and protection... but then it became more about money than it did about integrity, and once that happened, Craigslist picked up the ball. And following their success, Facebook Marketplace got in on the action.

Same concept as ebay, once again, the doorway to parts was wide open, but all of the protection was now gone.

Sellers quickly realized that they could do and say whatever they wanted, and so they did. And even though all 50 states have laws against deceptive selling, no state enforces those laws... To add insult to injury, Craigslist and FB Marketplace have no customer service, and no complaint department, so when you do get screwed, your only recourse is to cry and learn your lesson.

Well, hopefully by now, you have learned how to spot these crooks in advance, and if you have, you're in luck! Now you finally have some recourse... You can come here and expose them for the as$holes that they truly are.

Ive been running a thread like this for awhile, and it's usually very educational and quite comical. So, next time your shopping and you spot a scam, screen-shot it and post it here! Maybe you'll help out our fellow members, or maybe you'll spit your coffee on your monitor, but either way, it's a worthy cause.
  • Helpful
Reactions: 5
41 - 60 of 74 Posts
I wonder if he'd consider a reasonable offer to be an even trade for a "near mint" Mustang that ran when parked. I know a guy that could make that happen.
  • Haha
I'll tell you whats rare about it, the owner. He's the only idiot on Earth who would paint a Pontiac engine red
I seen one orange ! As a matter of fact I think i still have the valve covers here somewhere. Ya think they are extremely rare ??? If so make me a offer that I can't refuse ! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I seen one orange ! As a matter of fact I think i still have the valve covers here somewhere. Ya think they are extremely rare ??? If so make me a offer that I can't refuse ! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I'll tell you whats rare about it, the owner. He's the only idiot on Earth who would paint a Pontiac engine red
I did paint a pontiac engine purple metallic once ! As the engine that was in car, a 350, was absolutely junk valve springs had collapsed and rusted into. Valve covers were all but rusted off and pan was full of dry looking orange dirt/rust....so we say that this 72 Lemans has a purple heart !!! 🤣🤣🤣 it now has a 406 in it.👍
I did paint a pontiac engine purple metallic once ! As the engine that was in car, a 350, was absolutely junk valve springs had collapsed and rusted into. Valve covers were all but rusted off and pan was full of dry looking orange dirt/rust....so we say that this 72 Lemans has a purple heart !!! 🤣🤣🤣 it now has a 406 in it.👍 Top pic is/was the 350 and the new purple heart 406 in the car

See less See more
  • Love
Reactions: 4
I did paint a pontiac engine purple metallic once ! As the engine that was in car, a 350, was absolutely junk valve springs had collapsed and rusted into. Valve covers were all but rusted off and pan was full of dry looking orange dirt/rust....so we say that this 72 Lemans has a purple heart !!! 🤣🤣🤣 it now has a 406 in it.👍
I'm not knocking anyone who paints their engine, whatever color they choose. But don't come in here telling me that it's the only Ram Air 67 in existence, and was stored in Buckingham Palace since Delorean gifted it to the Queen, and then show me a car that Mrs. Crabtree's kindergarten class, spray bombed behind the Stop n Shop.
  • Haha
  • Love
One thing we all do is SHOP!

Everyone here is a consumer, and we're always looking for performance parts, repair parts, maintenance parts, and old PONTIAC parts! We used to only have the classified ads and the Ames catalogue... and then ebay came along, which was a game changer!

It gave us access to everything, everywhere... and for the first 15 years we had it, it was glorious! All of the sudden, you could get whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted it. It also carried a fair amount of guarantees and protection... but then it became more about money than it did about integrity, and once that happened, Craigslist picked up the ball. And following their success, Facebook Marketplace got in on the action.

Same concept as ebay, once again, the doorway to parts was wide open, but all of the protection was now gone.

Sellers quickly realized that they could do and say whatever they wanted, and so they did. And even though all 50 states have laws against deceptive selling, no state enforces those laws... To add insult to injury, Craigslist and FB Marketplace have no customer service, and no complaint department, so when you do get screwed, your only recourse is to cry and learn your lesson.

Well, hopefully by now, you have learned how to spot these crooks in advance, and if you have, you're in luck! Now you finally have some recourse... You can come here and expose them for the as$holes that they truly are.

Ive been running a thread like this for awhile, and it's usually very educational and quite comical. So, next time your shopping and you spot a scam, screen-shot it and post it here! Maybe you'll help out our fellow members, or maybe you'll spit your coffee on your monitor, but either way, it's a worthy cause.
Thank you!!!
  • Love
Sometimes I am an a$$hole so i figureď this post would fit well in this thread 🤣🤣🤣👍
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
I'm not knocking anyone who paints their engine, whatever color they choose...
My 1969 Beaumont has a Pontiac body and interior, but with a Chevy powertrain.
So that means my 307 is a natural redhead!

See less See more
  • Love
  • Haha

View attachment 166032
Holy crap! The more you share little tid bits about your car, the more I like it. This would rank up there with finding a US spec LeMans that still had the 250 in it.
  • Love

View attachment 166032
Yep... That's why I threw in the disclaimer "unless your pontiac is canadian".
Holy crap! The more you share little tid bits about your car, the more I like it. This would rank up there with finding a US spec LeMans that still had the 250 in it.
i love 307'S!
Yes, I'm well aware of your red engine GTO! But then again, you werent on the internet trying to sell it as a limited edition, unmolested car.
Usually when the spray can comes out, it’s sold as “rebuilt”, not “unmolested”. 😁
  • Haha
Usually when the spray can comes out, it’s sold as “rebuilt”, not “unmolested”. 😁
Funny thing is, that GTO might actually be what he claims it to be. I can see a few options... so who knows? But his representation of it is what gets me... Why everyone feels the need to lie, is beyond me.
Reactions: 1
i love 307'S!
My dad had one in a 69 Camaro when I was a kid. It was pretty quick for what it was.
  • Love
evil only prevails when good men do nothing.
Good afternoon! An interesting and important discussion. After a couple of serious vodkas, I felt the urge to to respond.

I'll be upfront and reveal that my responses are rather heavily influenced by 25 years in law enforcement...from an era where we actually enforced laws.
A couple of general opinions regarding posts in this thread:

1. All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. I wholly agree with the sentiment. The sentiment may have been valid in the years where many of this group grew up. For me, that would be mid to late 60s to about 1978. Disco completely decimated my central nervous system. Sadly, my experience is that evil now prevails irrespective of the actions of good men. We have before us the case of the US Marine who fought off a clearly deranged and dangerous individual in the NYC subway system. Just consider the outcome. This Marine goes to jail and is charged while the total POS walks. This is the norm, particularly in big cities. My advice - as long as the action is justifiable -
is to drop the SOB and run like hell. Justice is an obsolete, perhaps quaint, concept in this dystopia formally known as the USA. It is not going to get better.

2. As much as I don't want to go through life this way, starting with this fundamental premise will help you avoid victimization. The concept is simple: In the absence of evidence to the contrary, assume that people suck and are predatory bottom feeders. This cultural rot will not be overcome...and until the political system that encourages it is...eradicated, the situation will only worsen. If one assumes the best in people, as we did in the past, the outcome is not likely to be pleasant.

3. I saw a guy wearing a t-shirt just yesterday that said: " I miss the America I grew up in." AMEN.

Rich
See less See more
  • Love
My dad had one in a 69 Camaro when I was a kid. It was pretty quick for what it was.
The Chevy 305 and 307 were wildly different Motors. The 305 had a 350 crank and the 307 had a 327 crank, if I'm not mistaken
Good afternoon! An interesting and important discussion. After a couple of serious vodkas, I felt the urge to to respond.

I'll be upfront and reveal that my responses are rather heavily influenced by 25 years in law enforcement...from an era where we actually enforced laws.
A couple of general opinions regarding posts in this thread:

1. All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. I wholly agree with the sentiment. The sentiment may have been valid in the years where many of this group grew up. For me, that would be mid to late 60s to about 1978. Disco completely decimated my central nervous system. Sadly, my experience is that evil now prevails irrespective of the actions of good men. We have before us the case of the US Marine who fought off a clearly deranged and dangerous individual in the NYC subway system. Just consider the outcome. This Marine goes to jail and is charged while the total POS walks. This is the norm, particularly in big cities. My advice - as long as the action is justifiable -
is to drop the SOB and run like hell. Justice is an obsolete, perhaps quaint, concept in this dystopia formally known as the USA. It is not going to get better.

2. As much as I don't want to go through life this way, starting with this fundamental premise will help you avoid victimization. The concept is simple: In the absence of evidence to the contrary, assume that people suck and are predatory bottom feeders. This cultural rot will not be overcome...and until the political system that encourages it is...eradicated, the situation will only worsen. If one assumes the best in people, as we did in the past, the outcome is not likely to be pleasant.

3. I saw a guy wearing a t-shirt just yesterday that said: " I miss the America I grew up in." AMEN.

Rich
Thanks for chiming in! I appreciate your perspective. As you can see by this thread, many of us do. I am semi-retired law enforcement as well, and I worked in fraud, which is the inspiration for this threat
Reactions: 4
Thanks for chiming in! I appreciate your perspective. As you can see by this thread, many of us do. I am semi-retired law enforcement as well, and I worked in fraud, which is the inspiration for this threat
Only army could make a thread into a "threat"
See less See more
  • Love
The Chevy 305 and 307 were wildly different Motors. The 305 had a 350 crank and the 307 had a 327 crank, if I'm not mistaken
I'll start by saying that I am not a Chevy guy so there could be some errors here. This is what I have heard over the years.

I think the 305 was built off a completely different casting. Basically, the 305 was a larger cube 287(?) used in the late 70s/early 80s Malibu. It was still a small block Chevy but many of the parts were not interchangeable with the 350. The 305 had a long production run from the late 70s through the mid 80s. The 307 was only built for a couple years in the late 60s and early 70s. At the time it was considered to be a dog engine. Many had soft cam shafts that would fail premature. My dad's Camaro didn't have enough miles on it when the car was totaled to know if it was affected. I'm wondering if you're thinking of the 302 used in the late 60s? That was a parts bin engine with all of the performance goodies right from the factory. It was rated at 290 hp by GM but was supposedly way higher. The 307 was an economy V8 rated at around 200hp. Economy or not, dad's Camaro could leave a patch of rubber a block long.
See less See more
41 - 60 of 74 Posts