Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GTO was assembled at various plants which leads me to my question. Is there a difference as to where the car was assembled? I mean, did some plants have a better reputation? Are cars from one plant rarer than others? You hear stories like cars built on a Friday before a long weekend where more problem prone than one built on a Wednesday etc. Just wondering if anyone knows.
Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Plants

:cool: There can be minor differences from plant to plant. I don't know of any for Pontiac plants, but (as an example) Chevrolet plants differed in the placement of the partial VIN stamp on BBC engine blocks (for one or two model years), one plant didn't paint the firewall black; it remained body color, etc.

Minor, yet extremely important, details for that "investment quality" purchase.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Plants

:cool: I've been thinking about this question and have noticed that in 1970, all GTOs assembled at the Freemont, CA plant (I've only looked at several) have the VIN Plate installed above the prongs on dashboard, whereas, all other plants (again I've only looked at several cars) place the VIN Plate below the prongs prior to installing the rivets.

I really haven't seen enough '70 GTOs to claim that this is a constant... :leaving:

Also, the Freemont Plant used the slender, "old style" Body by Fisher Plate for most, if not all of 1970.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
doesn't that myth apply to anything made in a factory? gto birthdates are by the week of the month. I would like to think general motors assembly plant workers had a lot of pride building a gto back in the day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts