Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier I read about many GTOs shipped to the U.S. with high tire pressure. I've never checked mine in the month that I've owned it since they looked plenty full. I just checked them a few minutes ago........65psi each!!!! :eek:

I bumped them down to 40 - 42psi. Whew, it feels much better now. Handles better from what little I test drove it. I've put 3k miles on tires so overly inflated.

Please check yours too. :seeya:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think 35 PSI is the recommended pressure. Is there a reason to be higher than that?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan, I'm sure 35 psi would be a good pressure to run. The tires indicate 44 psi max, I was in a rush when I deflated them and just wanted to get lower than the max.

I feel like an idiot for not noticing this, but it seems an over inflated tire is a little tougher to spot that vice versa. :eek:

·
Registered
590 Posts
God almighty, you must have been bouncing around like a jeep all this time :lol:

I run at 32 psi and rotate every oil change (3k)

There was a sticky running on this for a while

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
westell said:
God almighty, you must have been bouncing around like a jeep all this time :lol:

I run at 32 psi and rotate every oil change (3k)

There was a sticky running on this for a while
Well, I can't say that I really noticed...being a new car for me I had nothing to benchmark it against. For some reason when I was on the highway in the rain a couple of weeks ago I didn't feel very confident to say the least, but I just thought it was the car. No it feels so much better. Much more responsive and predictable. Plus, I'm always dogging the handling of this car but I think I've found a big part of the problem. :lol:

I'm upset at the dealer for not being aware of this. I'm sure tire life is much worse running those high pressures. I probably only had 1/2 of the tire contact I should.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
bemeyer said:
Earlier I read about many GTOs shipped to the U.S. with high tire pressure. I've never checked mine in the month that I've owned it since they looked plenty full. I just checked them a few minutes ago........65psi each!!!! :eek:

I bumped them down to 40 - 42psi. Whew, it feels much better now. Handles better from what little I test drove it. I've put 3k miles on tires so overly inflated.

Mine were at 50 psi. Not quite sure why GM would do this and why the dealers are not catching it, but mine was not safe and yours was a blowout waiting to happen.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
bemeyer said:

Damn! Do any of you know how to read? Check the owners manual and the drivers side door jamb. 35 PSI front and rear is the GM recommended inflation pressure.

The high pressure tires seem to be a widespread problem. The first GTO I drove was horrible. The ride was worse than a Vette I owned with the Z51 suspension. Every expansion joint in the road could heard and felt. The tires made the car uncomfortable and noisy. I left that test drive thinking the car was a joke.

I don't know why, but I decided to drive another GTO at a second dealer. What a difference! They had the tires properly inflated and the car was quiet with a compliant suspension . Bumps were no longer something to fear. That was the dealer where I ended up buying my 05.

Any decent dealer should catch this in basic prep when the car hits their lot. GM will have an uphill battle if they don't get their dealer network in shape to compete with foreign makers who make customer service a priority.

Remember 35 PSI. That's thirty five. Three five.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll bump them down to 30-35.

I thought the car wasn't handling well (see all my remarks in other posts about it), but I had nothing to compare to regarding the ride/handling. It's a much different car now, more predictable and enjoyable to drive. :party:

·
Registered
590 Posts
The reason they bumped up the pressure down in Oz, was so the tires would not flat spot during the 45 day ocean sailing, and most dealers not too keen on it. After I told my dealer, they checked the other 4 goats and they were all at 50-55 psi.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
That makes sense, but you would figure that the dealer would as part of getting the car ready to show would check that. They should also put a notice on the windshield or seat to let them know. I'm glad I'm anal about things, check the fluids in a new car before test driving and such. I drove a new Acura Integra in 1988. Salesman drove it off the lot, it didn't sound right to me, but the salesman said it was the double overhead cams. Half a mile from the dealership the engine seized.
I caught the tires 5 minutes after purchasing the car. I don't let dealers fill the gas tank on premium fuel cars when I buy them. Don't want to have the first tank of gas be the wrong one. I always check the tires, and they were at 52 which I figured would be 50 cold.
I was wondering why the car rode worse than my Z06 on small bumps and better over rough stuff.
I'm going with 34 psi cold. I tried lower and the car felt loose, just kept bumping up to 36 and I found the ride handling combo was right for me at 34.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think all car makers do that - I drove a Miata a couple years back that bounced like crazy - the saleman checked the tires and found the psi at 55, he lowered the psi to normal and the car was completely different (quite a fun car, actually).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, check for the shipping spring spacers on your front springs! I had my 05 for 3 weeks before reading about these, and sure enough, dealer forgot to remove those as well! These are easy to spot, bright red spring spacers at top of front springs (but you need to crawl under to see them)!

·
Registered
8 Posts
bemeyer said:
Why the shipping spacers? Do these give added clearance to drive them on the ship or something?
Everyone says to keep the front from bouncing so much while on ship! I can attest to the fact that the front is a lot more stiffer with them on. Much better without them!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.