Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is gonna break some hearts around here (Jeffy Pops 386, you out there?) but I'll be signing off the GTO forum.

I completed my migration back to (Northern) Euro transportion today. Let's hear it for the Germans and the Swedes.

A couple of months ago, I dumped my wife's 2002 Yukon Denali for a black 2006 Merc R500. The Denali wasn't a bad vehicle at all but my wife was never comfortable with the size. She's much happier with the R500 for entry, exit, and parking. There's no comparing the drivetrain, suspension, or interior. Yukon was crude but good. The Merc is refined.

I went home to Volvo today when I took delivery of a Silver 2006 XC90 V8. My work situation has changed and I need the hauling and all weather capability. Also, a manual trans would be a pain in the heavy traffic where I'm headed. My car prior to the GTO was a Volvo that I kept for 10 years. It was flawless.

The GTO was a lot of fun and mechanically reliable for 30,000 miles but some of the quality issues were beginning to show after 18 months. Overall, I'm glad I owned the GTO. Who knows how long cars like this will be around. It was great to experience a classic American pushrod V8 that has been refined to a world class level of performance coupled to a 6 spd manual trans. And all that for $32K!!!!! The GM dealer on the other hand was a disappointment.

Highest speed attained 155 MPH.
Tires failed - 2 (both rears).....repeated extended trips north of 140.
Average mileage for 90 mile daily highway commute 22-23 MPG.
Total miles 30,256.
Warranty claims - DIC failure, rust, OEM tires.
Oil use, 1 quart every 1,000 - 1,500 miles
Trade in value, $20,800
Smiles :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks to all on this forum for the helpful info, the hot debates, and the humor. Also thanks to the trolls and their cousins the tards for being easy and willing targets.

See ya!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What area did you have the rust issues?
I had about a dozen paint chips in the hood from road debris. All of them were rusting to some degree but a few were rusting badly enough to lift the paint around the original chip. It seemed as though there was no protection other than the base coat and clear coat. I.E. no primer or other coating.

My old Volvo was pock marked like the moon after 10 years but not one of those chips had any rust through all those New England winters.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
why sign off. just couse u dont have a goat anymore. or is it that being youve got the mer and the volvo and too good to chat with ur buddys.
Thanks, I do enjoy the exchange of ideas here. I originally dropped in looking for info on the new GTO and probably won't have that reason to drop by any longer. But I'll probably stick my nose in from time to time to see what's going on in the GTO world.

And no, not too good to talk with GTO buddies. It's just that our needs are taking me away from sports cars at the moment and the R500 and Volvo seemed to fit best.

I'm actually pulling for GM. They have what looks to be some very nice product in the pipeline. If the Buick Enclave had been shipping at the moment, I would have seriously considered it. Unfortunately, I needed to get this deal done by this Friday (tomorrow). Buick has received very good quality scores lately but they really need to get some product in the stores that will excite customers. The Enclave looks like a credible alternative to the XC90. We'll see if Lutz can get it to market without diluting the extravagance of the show car too much.

I have never and will never consider a Ford though. They really need to die.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hey, that Volvo's produced under Ford stewardship! Wa-wa-wa-waaaaaa....

Seriously, good luck. Been fun having you around. Can't argue with the R500 or XC90 at all. Since the wife's getting a little tired of her XJ-R, we're going to take a look at the new S80 when it comes out. The C70, too, although they disappear for sticker as soon as the boat docks.

Feel free to drop by and debate the oil industry any time. Fun talking with people, like you and FergyFlyer, who knows what's going on. Don't always agree, but what the hell.

·
Registered
115 Posts
fergyflyer , i agree with u just couse u sell it and dont have it any more dont mean u cant give helpful advice . so wing_nut so dont be stanger. b_a_betterperson got some bad news for u heard on news that hate to say it ford is going to merg with gm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.