Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The thread title implies what I'm looking for: an auto dimming rear view mirror with built-in compass and temperature display.

There are a couple of places I've seen online that sell these (like this one). Do you have any recommendations or any advice for installing one? I was disappointed to see Car Toys doesn't offer this "mod" as I don't really want to screw around with installing it (my GTO is a tight fit for my 6'5" frame).

For whatever reason, the rearview I have above is only available for the 2004 or 2006 GTO. What's the difference between the 2005 and 2006?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is no real difference between the 05 and 06 other than the blackout tail lights, central door lock and lighted steering wheel controls.

I already did the central door lock mod in my QSM 05 (kit from JSM).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got the Gentex auto dimming mirror w/Homelink in my 05. I decided against the compass and temp as I don't really need them. Yes, it was pricey, but completely worth it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the K21 Gentex and couldn't be happier.

The unit itself is indistinguishable from OEM. And, the interior of the GTO is excellent for this type of mod. The a-pillar cover and the dash all disassemble so easily. All of the other interiors I've disassembled had me cringing - the plastic always felt like it was about to snap (and sometimes it did).

The GTO interior comes apart so easily and re-assembles as easily. And, when it's said and done, the interior is still rock solid - it's not loose at all after taking it apart and putting it back together.

The wiring was incredibly simple. The routing was also simple - I used the gommet where my hood cable goes through the firewall.

One word of advice: the optioonal wire cover, for the GTO, is un-necessary. I just cut off about 3" of the (longer than necessary) remote temperature sensor cable conduit and used it - it looks great.

In short, I highly recommend this unit :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am definitely keeping this in mind. I'm not much of a gadget person, but this mirror does look nice (as you mentioned, it looks like the stock mirror) and many others seem happy with it, such that it is definately one I will consider.

One question though--do any of you have tint? If so, how does the tint work with the autodimming when driving at night? My night vision is a bit weak, so I'm always careful about anything that may cause vision difficulties. (My car is tinted 35%).

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks like the one I have also.........my stereo shop installed mine for $35 bucks. Works like a charm.

JET

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clueless said:
I am definitely keeping this in mind. I'm not much of a gadget person, but this mirror does look nice (as you mentioned, it looks like the stock mirror) and many others seem happy with it, such that it is definately one I will consider.

One question though--do any of you have tint? If so, how does the tint work with the autodimming when driving at night? My night vision is a bit weak, so I'm always careful about anything that may cause vision difficulties. (My car is tinted 35%).
I have 15% tint all around, except windshield, and have no visual problems at all. Don't let the tint stop you from getting the mirror. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Got the K21 installed by a local radio installer. TOTALLY pro looking, they just about pooped their pants when I told them about people going direct with the fuse box....(other forum)

I guess there's another way to wire it up? Anyways...

I highly recommend this badboy for a little interior kick!:cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts