Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
furgburg said:
I am a newbie here, looking at purchasing an 05. I really would rather have an automatic. How is the performance in an auto vs. a stick. Also how is the milage. Thanx
The manual trans is the performance transmission. The manual transmission is lighter, runs cooler and is more efficient than the automatic. It also, unlike the automatic, provides the driver with full control of gear selection. Now, some GTO ads/reviews claim the automatic provides a better 0-60 time but this is undoubtedly due to driver error, probably those unfamiliar with shifting the T56. Every other ad/review you see for any other car on the market has a manual version always being faster than an auto.

Mileage, of course, is better with the manual tranny, also. Pretty much the only advantage an automatic transmission provides from a performance standpoint is the fact that an auto generally provides more consistent ETs for those into bracket racing but for pure performance due to less weight and heat you cannot beat a manual transmission. Look at what race cars in almost any class of racing besides bracket drag racing use- manuals.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The biggest knock on the M6 is the "driving in traffic" argument.

I drive in TERRIBLE Denver traffic everyday and have not once regretted getting the M6.

The Manual is driving the car - no frustration waiting for the downshift. You are in control.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I will say the tremec in these goats is quite amazing. There really is almost no difference in actuality between the A4 and the M6, other than the obvious one has a clutch and shifter while the other does not. The two really have the exact same speed times its just of course the auto doesn't require the skill in shifting to get a faster time. The gas mileage on the two is really abot the same, except if you're going on long trips... then the M6 manages to come out ahead by 2 or 3 mpg.

I currently drive an A4 05, and got one just because I don't always feel like wanting to shift. I have driven the M6 model frequently though (a friend owns one). We both agree that either way you go, you can't make a wrong decision. It's simply a matter of if you get a lot of enjoyment out of controlling the gear your car is in and shifting it yourself, or whether you enjoy just pressing the gas and enjoying the ride. As much as some people with give the classic argument that the manual is always better (other than being able to control your downshifts), or whatever reasons they may present for the auto being better, those rules really don't apply to the goats. One truly is quite equal to the other.

I will say however that when I get my next goat (most likely an 06 sometime seemingly soon) I will get it in an M6 version, jsut to have a fun choice between the two. Although I'm trying to decide between another goat or a MB SL65AMG ;)

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
If you don't mind paying the gas guzzler tax to big brother and you can live with 20% higher gas bills, by all means get the auto.

The Tremec T56 is not the slickest or quickest 6M by far. It's actually clunky and slow. I've got 6,500 miles of experience with it in the GTO.

The 4L65E on the other hand is a very smooth and reliable auto. I've got the same transmission in my 2002 Denali with 50K miles on it and I love it.

As for the real man who thinks that an automatic is only quicker due to driver error...

Now, some GTO ads/reviews claim the automatic provides a better 0-60 time GTO ads/reviews claim the automatic provides a better 0-60 time but this is undoubtedly due to driver error, probably those unfamiliar with shifting the T56. Every other ad/review you see for any other car on the market has a manual version always being faster than an auto.
........HoHoHo. :rofl:

De Nile ain't just a river in Egypt. An auto will beat 97% of the schmucks out there who think they can drive, real men included. An auto will never miss a shift. An auto will never stall or slip the clutch too fast or slow.

If it weren't for the mileage and the guzzler tax and the fact that I live in an area where I can enjoy a manual transmission (zero traffic jams), I would be driving the auto.

If you like it, go for it. You won't be giving up any performance. Especially if you're one of those wimps that can't drive like a real man. :D

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
RiceEater said:
I will say the tremec in these goats is quite amazing. There really is almost no difference in actuality between the A4 and the M6, other than the obvious one has a clutch and shifter while the other does not. The two really have the exact same speed times its just of course the auto doesn't require the skill in shifting to get a faster time. The gas mileage on the two is really abot the same, except if you're going on long trips... then the M6 manages to come out ahead by 2 or 3 mpg.

I currently drive an A4 05, and got one just because I don't always feel like wanting to shift. I have driven the M6 model frequently though (a friend owns one). We both agree that either way you go, you can't make a wrong decision. It's simply a matter of if you get a lot of enjoyment out of controlling the gear your car is in and shifting it yourself, or whether you enjoy just pressing the gas and enjoying the ride. As much as some people with give the classic argument that the manual is always better (other than being able to control your downshifts), or whatever reasons they may present for the auto being better, those rules really don't apply to the goats. One truly is quite equal to the other.

I will say however that when I get my next goat (most likely an 06 sometime seemingly soon) I will get it in an M6 version, jsut to have a fun choice between the two. Although I'm trying to decide between another goat or a MB SL65AMG ;)

:agree

·
Registered
937 Posts
Pennsylvania Goat said:
The M6 is a must for me. I need gears to grab!
:agree

Somehow, it just didnt feel right to drop the car into D and go. Its all driver preference, and if you came from a stick you are probably going to "stick" with a stick. Oh, and that paddle shift crap they invented (I know the GTO doesnt have it), the "Manumatic" what the hell is that? If you are going to want to shift gears yourself, there is no better replacement for the clutch under your left foot and the shifter in your right hand. Its a driving style, and I dont know what to do with those appendiges when I'm driving the minivan!

·
Registered
160 Posts
That sums up how I feel too.

I like the seat-of-the-pants feel of driving the M6. I like feeling the engine through the stick, I like choosing the gear, I like the 6-3 downhift, I like being able to goose the throtte without powebraking, and I just plain like banging gears.

Call me weird, but I LOVE driving a stick. It makes a corrola tolerable and makes driving the GTO so much fun it ought to be illegal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
if you get a stick then you have to worry about the clutch too if you talk to gtodealer half the time he loves his and the other half the time hes trying to get me to switch him trans. i love my auto and i have driven a stick in a car every day and just didnt like it the fun factor doesnt outweigh the driving it every day. :cheers

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
04gtolover said:
if you get a stick then you have to worry about the clutch too if you talk to gtodealer half the time he loves his and the other half the time hes trying to get me to switch him trans. i love my auto and i have driven a stick in a car every day and just didnt like it the fun factor doesnt outweigh the driving it every day. :cheers
Hehehehe, very true....... I'm so indesicive......

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.