Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've never drivin a manual (i know, i know), maybe been in one twice, so is an '05 gto manual out of the question? i'm a fast learner, but is it really that much (if at all) faster than automatic?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I choose an auto because of the amount of driving that I do....my goat is my daily driver so it really wasn't practical for me to keep pushing in a clutch 24/7!

I really like it though so it's up to you and how you will be using it!:D

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The autos I have seen so far have been faster than the stick.(driver diffrence,maybee?) But I chose the manual because of the HUGE diffrence in gas milage. If you get both cars driving 60, the auto will be running almost 900rpm's higher than the stick.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
BTW it's a performance car- to buy it as an automatic is to kneecap its capabilities. An automatic can never anticipate- allow the driver to select the proper part of the pawerband-- like a manual allows.

The automatic is only "quicker" in a straight line (and even then barely so)...irrelevant for people who enjoy curves and apexes.

I drive more than anyone here through some of the worst traffic in the country, and I wouldn't trade my 6-speed for any slushbox...unless, of course, GM can come up with a "clutchless" sequential manual gearbox like Audi's DSG.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Groucho said:
BTW it's a performance car- to buy it as an automatic is to kneecap its capabilities. An automatic can never anticipate- allow the driver to select the proper part of the pawerban-- like a manual allows.

The automic is only "quicker" in a straight line (and even then barely so)...irrelevant for people who enjoy curves and apexes.

I drive more than anyone here through some of the worst traffic in the country, and I wouldn't trade my 6-speed for any slushbox...unless, of course, GM can come up with a "clutchless" sequential manual gearbox like Audi's DSG.
Ouch!!! You cut us "slushbox" owner deeply!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the input, ha yes i know its a sports car and is meant to be manual but if the auto is faster (even if only .1), requires no constant shifting, and i wont be racing at the track or through turns, etc., i think auto is right for me. is the gas mileage for manuals that much better for city driving?

·
Registered
57 Posts
At first I was gnna buy auto cuz this is my first stick car.

I'm SOOO glad I went M6. It just seems to me the car wouldnt be as much fun as your pulling on some joker waiting for the redline so you can slam her in gear and continue your dominance.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
4L65e Auto
  • $1,300 Gas Guzzler Tax
  • Slightly worse city mileage
  • Much worse highway mileage
  • Much easier to live with in heavy traffic

Tremec T56 (+ Paleolithic precision shifter)
  • No Guzzler Tax
  • Better mileage
  • Yank and Clunk shifter
  • Ability to decide proper engine speed and gear (after negotiation w/shifter)
  • Respect from all of the real men on this forum

Either one is fine. Assess your situation and make your choice.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
4L65e Auto
  • $1,300 Gas Guzzler Tax
  • Slightly worse city mileage
  • Much worse highway mileage
  • Much easier to live with in heavy traffic

Tremec T56 (+ Paleolithic precision shifter)
  • No Guzzler Tax
  • Better mileage
  • Yank and Clunk shifter
  • Ability to decide proper engine speed and gear (after negotiation w/shifter)
  • Respect from all of the real men on this forum

Either one is fine. Assess your situation and make your choice.
Well put, Wing.

I would submit that the GMM Ripshifter aids considerably in "negotiating" for your gear selection...it's kinda like plying the T56 with hookers and booze.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.