Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I drive without my radio being on most of the time I tend to hear different noises from my GTO. One of them is a whine as I accellerate from the automatic transmission as it shifts up thru the gears. I have noticed the whine becoming louder.

I had the same kind of whine in my 98 Olds Intrique, which I still have and the whine, but it now has 120,000 miles on it and my GTO has only 6500 miles.

Any ideas as to what I should do? It is still pretty faint, but I hear it.

Mike

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 6MT 04 gto has the same whine in it. It sounds almost turbine-like. I don't recall my '98 Z-28 doing that but my GTO has that unique whine, nonetheless :D :D :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
i have also noticed that whine also!!! :agree Mine seems to happens when i get on it , as soon as i get out of first the car jumps and whines , like there is a lot of pressure built up to switch gears

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I have noticed the whine most often when I turn, At first I thought it was the power steering pump. Had the fluid replaced and the noise is still there. Now I think it maybe the limited slip axle, this is the first rear wheel drive car I have ever owned .

For what its worth new Mustang GT's have a slight whine also.

To get rid of the noise I usually just push harder on the right pedal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
also i noticed that i rotated my tires the whine went away. :party:

i guess my problem was due to lack of tread i had slicks :eek: with stock tires.

not cool

1 - 5 of 5 Posts