Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the ATF fluid/filter(s) in my '04 GTO. Currently at 55k miles. All highway driving. Daily driving to and from work. Always (well most of the time) driven easy.

i couldn't find any details on the forums as far as how many quarts drain out when you do a drain/fill. Would a simple fluid change be good enough? or do you guys recommend taking it somewhere and flushing out and replacing all the fluid??

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
According to the service manual:
Automatic Transmission fluid and filter (Drain and Refill) 5.3 quarts DEXRON-III

It is suggested to change it ever 50000 miles for normal use and every 25000 miles for severe service. Your description sounds like normal service. In both cases they say 'change' rather than flush.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the service manual:
Automatic Transmission fluid and filter (Drain and Refill) 5.3 quarts DEXRON-III

It is suggested to change it ever 50000 miles for normal use and every 25000 miles for severe service. Your description sounds like normal service. In both cases they say 'change' rather than flush.
thanks for the info!
any experience with Amsoil ATF? I think I'm going with the Signature Series.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
All it says is Dexron-III and to look for 'Approved for the H-specification" on the label. I'm fairly sure that Amsoil meets that spec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts