Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to by gto and wandering 2 things... can a trailor hitch be installed (to pull jet ski, very light) and is the automatic tranny worth getting. already own two 87' turbo buick regals only came in automatic and there a blast to drive. most of you seem to like the m6... anybody endorsing the a4? focusing on 05 midnight blue/ black interior... just don't know a4 or m6

·
Registered
24 Posts
the owners manual states that towing anything w/ the gto is not an option. To be honest, i would have to laugh if i ever seen one towing anyting. I own an m6 and love it, have had automatic cars in the past but absolutely enjoy my m6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
deezdad said:
looking to by gto and wandering 2 things... can a trailor hitch be installed (to pull jet ski, very light) and is the automatic tranny worth getting. already own two 87' turbo buick regals only came in automatic and there a blast to drive. most of you seem to like the m6... anybody endorsing the a4? focusing on 05 midnight blue/ black interior... just don't know a4 or m6
The M6 is nice, but in the city traffic I drive (D.C.), you stay awfully busy with the shifter and clutch. RI is pretty crowded, right? Even on the highway I find little advantage to the M6. I stay in 6th almost all the time, except when I drop to 5th to pass. The A4 is really an A5 if you consider the TC lockup, so you are only giving up one gear, but you gain the inherent torque multiplication of the TC.

The engine has a nice broad torque curve, so an automatic might not be that bad at all. I had a bone stock 74 Trans Am 455 with a Turbo 400 and I was able to consistently smoke the guys with M4's. It was all about the constant application of torque. While they were shifting I was pulling away, and they were never quite able to catch up. My son showed me a video clip of a 2005 A4 running a 12.99, right with the M6's.

I've seen a 1.25" hitch on a C5, so why not on an A4 GTO? We're not talking about pulling a camper, just a PWC that likely weighs less than the load allowed for 3 pax. Torque is torque, whether you use it for road racing, hauling your beer buddies around, or pulling a teeny little trailer. As long as it has a transmission cooler and you don't try to pull a Scarab, it ought to do just fine, provided they can find somewhere to attach the hitch. Plenty of room under there with the gas tank in the trunk. Just do us all a favor and get a detachable receiver so you can make it disappear when you aren't pulling. We wouldn't want our wives to find out the car is actually useful. Next thing you know, we'd all be hauling bags of fertilizer home from the Home Depot, and that would really suck.

Unless you want to take it racing, the A4 would probably be a better choice out here on the crowded coast. We would all love to drive where they shoot those car commercials, but our reality out here looks more like 'Escape from New York' than 'Easy Rider'.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well... Had a 01 WS6 with M6. Now have 04 GTO with M6. The only automatic I drive is my (don't shoot me here) Explorer.

I drive RT128/I95 everyday and it can get like a parking lot most days, but going through the gears when there's a clearing is just AWESOME..! (watch it though... it may only be a few yards before you're back in first gear. :) ).

Personally, I bought the M6 because subconsciencely, I'm really not *cough*cough* 40.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your purchase..!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have an 04 GTO, Its an auto. I have been busted and busted over and over again. I heard all the girl jokes and the stuff that goes W/ that. I do wish I did get a M6 however, having an auto is not that bad. My GOAT is still fast and it does not make me like my car any less. Guess its really up to the driver.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
The 4L65E automatic is a good match for the LS2. I test drove one and it was plenty fast and smooth too. I ended up buying an 05 Cyclone Gray M6 because I live where it's enjoyable to drive a 6 speed and I didn't want to pay the guzzler tax and take the 5mpg hit at the pump. I have a 40+ mile one way commute that's all highway and uncrowded country roads.

If I still lived in Boston, I'd be driving the auto with no regrets. The auto is probably faster for 95% of the drivers out there, including me. I actually have the same transmission in my Yukon Denali and it's a nice unit.

Enjoy.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
The 4L65E automatic is a good match for the LS2. I test drove one and it was plenty fast and smooth too. I ended up buying an 05 Cyclone Gray M6 because I live where it's enjoyable to drive a 6 speed and I didn't want to pay the guzzler tax and take the 5mpg hit at the pump. I have a 40+ mile one way commute that's all highway and uncrowded country roads.

If I still lived in Boston, I'd be driving the auto with no regrets. The auto is probably faster for 95% of the drivers out there, including me. I actually have the same transmission in my Yukon Denali and it's a nice unit.

Enjoy. :cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a bad knee and if I had the m6 I wouldn't be able to drive my GTO as often so got the a4. I do a ton of city driving and it gets cold here so if the GTO came only with the m6 I wouldn't have one. An a4 is better than no GTO at all. And it is a blast to drive.

Years ago I had a Porsche with an m5 and around town that car was always in the wrong gear. (The GTO's wide torque band improves that though.) My first car was a '67 GTO with the old TH400 3-speed auto. I won a lot of races with it, often beating out faster cars with sticks because their drivers couldn't drive. Driving an m6 doesn't mean that you're faster than the a4, got to take driving skill into it as well. As far as driving pleasure goes, the m6 is fun but, sometimes it can be a pain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.