Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a compro in this week's AutoWeek magazine re: 2005 Mustang GT vs. '05 GTO.

They picked the Mousetang as winner, primarily over handling issues.

Having never driven an '05 Mousetang GT, I cannot comment....though let's face facts-- the GTO's sluggish steering response leaves much to be desired.

You may now freak out and scream magazine bias.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TexasRealtor said:
At least AW published some opposing opinions who loved the GTO. :cheers
Indeed.

Kinda sucks that the GTO was beat out in the handling department by a stone-age live axle arrangement, though.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom said:
I wonder how much of the loss is due to the crap tires on the GTO?
Not much, I don't think, as they were pretty specific as to what they didn't like: the slow steering response of the GTO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, my 03 RAM has quicker steering than the GTO. It is a little hard to get used to switching between the two since it seems backwards. I think stiffer swaybars would help the GTO handling significantly. When I had a Mercedes C230 coupe, I put the AMG swaybars on and it was night and day difference. Does anyone make swaybars for the GTO? They are usually a really cheap upgrade.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Groucho said:
Not much, I don't think, as they were pretty specific as to what they didn't like: the slow steering response of the GTO.
I read it, I like how they said the 04 GTO felt great, the 05 felt great until they got into the mustang. If the mustang has a bigger rim, or stiffer sidewall the steering will be crisper. Im not saying the GTO steering is quick especially when compared to my other cars. the GTO is more of a touring car than a sports car, while the mustang GT may be more of a sports car than a touring car.

Steering response on my Z28 improved when I switched tires, same thing on my 944.

R&T tested the 04s in their july issue and the preference for day to day was the GTO.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
speedfrk said:
Yep, my 03 RAM has quicker steering than the GTO. It is a little hard to get used to switching between the two since it seems backwards. I think stiffer swaybars would help the GTO handling significantly. When I had a Mercedes C230 coupe, I put the AMG swaybars on and it was night and day difference. Does anyone make swaybars for the GTO? They are usually a really cheap upgrade.
yup.

http://www.lmperformance.com/5298/43.html

Cheap upgrade at $159.00. What is involved with the install?

Yeah...that will help as will polyurethane bushings (I installed a full set in my BMW and that helped immensely)...

Unfortunately, I feel a lot of the problem has to do with the ratio in the steering box...I wish there was an easy way to upgrade that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts