Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
!967 gto what would be the best backspacing 15x8 with 4.5 or 15x8 5.5 as them are the choices i have? i have stock drums may put disks on front down the road.......Give me your opion......

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Gotta be careful with back spacing...you might not be able to fit the disc set up.....It's hard to say with out knowing what tires, and disc package you are using!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what the back spacing for stock 8 inch wheels?have 15 right now but changing wheels so i need to know 4.5 or 5.5 iam keeping the drums for now...

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
Racedwg,

If you can take a few measurements I'll help you get the correct tire/wheel combination and backspacing,

The dashed line between B & C represent the wheel's mounting surface,
C & D represent the front spacing and B plus the distance from E to the tie rod or the first point of impact in the top of the wheel well represent the rear spacing.

Front Spacing ____________

Rear Spacing_____________

The 8" wheel will be around 9" from the outer edge to outer edge, so the minimum size tire should be about 9 inches, (225)

A 235 is 9.25", 245 is 9.65 and a 255 is 10"

You will need at least 12" of total spacing to run a 10" wide tire. You will also need measurements for the front tires from lock to lock to verify you don't have problems while turning.

The original tire was around 26.3 inches tall, a 235/60-15 will be 26.1 tall", a 245/60-15 is 26.6" tall and a 255/60-15 is 27" tall.

The 15"x8" wheel wasn't offered on the A-body and was used on the firebird for a few years starting in 1978,

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts