Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in replacing the spare (or 5th, if you will) wheel for my vehicle as the current one has a leak (its not the tire). The backspace on the original 14 x 6 steel wheels appears to be 4 3/8". Most after market wheels seem to indicate a backspace of either 4", 4 1/4", or 4 1/2". I am interested in comments/opinions as to how critical it is to have the wheel backspace identically match on a particular axle (ie, front or rear) as regards to handling, etc.

To be noted, one of the wheels on the vehicle was replaced a number of years back, and I recently noted that it appears to only have 4" backspace. I haven't noticed any huge problems, so I suppose I've somewhat answered my own question, but I would like to know what others think. If you have a mismatch front, would you expect some degree of pulling or other issue?

TIA

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see that it won't affect caster, camber or toe-in specs.

I guess what I was wondering is the affect of the vehicle stance seemingly being off center at the axle having the mismatch. But maybe the effect may be so subtle that it is no more impactful than having one person in the front seat?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts