Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so the past few weeks have made me start to hate my goat. First the radiator cracked and needed a new one, and then the infamous "clicking, chattering" sound started. Took it to the shop and they said it was the manifold gasket, which they fixed, but the noise continued. Took it back and they said it could be a bad lifter, but for whatever reason they did a fresh oil and filter change and now the noise is gone (for now). So my question is, if it is a bad lifter would changing the oil really help, even if its only temporary?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Alright so the past few weeks have made me start to hate my goat. First the radiator cracked and needed a new one, and then the infamous "clicking, chattering" sound started. Took it to the shop and they said it was the manifold gasket, which they fixed, but the noise continued. Took it back and they said it could be a bad lifter, but for whatever reason they did a fresh oil and filter change and now the noise is gone (for now). So my question is, if it is a bad lifter would changing the oil really help, even if its only temporary?
Do you have headers or is it the stock manifolds?? I know mine got "noisier" after my header install. Kinda like the sewing machine type chatter, but from what I've read and researched this is normal. Being that it stopped follwing the oil change would lead me to something else.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Lifters usually don't fix themselves. Could the oil have been low maybe? Low oil and/or pressure or debris that got up to the lifter are two main causes short of real failure.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Lifters usually don't fix themselves. Could the oil have been low maybe? Low oil and/or pressure or debris that got up to the lifter are two main causes short of real failure.
Funny you say that. I have a motorcycle that had a lifter chattering. After an oil change it stopped. Come to find out there was debri partially obstructing one lifter causing the chatter. Drained the oil and filtered it. Little bits of who knows what were in the oil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, everything is stock. But good news is, it's been a week since the oil change and so far so good. The shop also said it could have been debris in the oil but seems strange since I change the oil on schedule everytime.
Thanks for the replies and input, definitely some peace of mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts