Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a resto project 1967 GTO drop top matching numbers.
I am looking into going more custom on this one. I am wondering if anyone has done a airbag suspension on a 66 or 67 GTO?

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I don't think any informed owner would want to degrade a matching numbers, first series GTO convertible by bagging it. I certainly haven't seen it on this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your opinion of degade and mine are probably different. I have a 1966 (tri-power/hurst) with all matching numbers even original owner. Why not do a ustom job with 4 wheel disc, bagged suspensin, HEI ignition, staggered wheels? I am not planning on selling the goat anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Ahhh to restore or hot rod that is the question-anyone who has seen any of my pics or posts know I will vote for the custom- restoration is a different breed of car than one you can modify with all new components and upgrade suspension,electronics etc-- I can see both sides of the argument clearly though, many people want to preserve nice examples of history while others want to use more modern components- I have seen the look of staggered wheels and bagged and it looks downright mean ( in a very good way) I say go for it and keep us posted

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I'm all for progress, and I like resto-modded cars. I just think resto-modded cars are better created from non-virgin cars. Unmolested and original survivor cars should not be modified in my opinion. But that's just me, and I'm old. I've seen the trends come and go in the past 40 years. Some trends have come back, some have not. I sure know that the "trick" graphics paint jobs in the early '80's I loved look ridiculous now. Styles change, tastes change. True class never goes obsolete. Rukee is right: no cutting allowed! All mods should be reversible without a welder......

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I'm all for progress, and I like resto-modded cars. I just think resto-modded cars are better created from non-virgin cars. Unmolested and original survivor cars should not be modified in my opinion. But that's just me, and I'm old. I've seen the trends come and go in the past 40 years. Some trends have come back, some have not. I sure know that the "trick" graphics paint jobs in the early '80's I loved look ridiculous now. Styles change, tastes change. True class never goes obsolete. Rukee is right: no cutting allowed! All mods should be reversible without a welder......

The debate rages on about resto-modding. I have a non-numbers matching (but period correct) engine and transmission (also period correct) in my 1967 GTO. I installed the Ridetech AirRide suspension and I like it a lot. I also did four-wheel disc brakes, installed 2005 GTO bucket seats in the front, installed power steering and brakes and Kooks exhaust system. My car still looks stock but the mechanicals are updated and safer (and more fun, IMO) for driving. I understand the other side of the argument if the car is numbers-matching, but I'm very happy with my "updated" goat. I did keep the original seats and other parts in case of sale. To each his own..........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will not be going overboard trust me.
Air ride suspension
4 wheel disc
Staggered wheels
Keeping OG interior, paint, exterior, etc
*just and upgade on suspension, brakes and wheels/tires*
**although a set of redlines are so nice!**

I pick the '67 up friday and will post pics up.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I will not be going overboard trust me.
Air ride suspension
4 wheel disc
Staggered wheels
Keeping OG interior, paint, exterior, etc
*just and upgade on suspension, brakes and wheels/tires*
**although a set of redlines are so nice!**

I pick the '67 up friday and will post pics up.

Good luck.

By the way, if you go with RideTech's system, get the load-leveling sensors INSIDE the front air-bags. The other version of the load-levelers does not work well on GM A-bodies. RideTech was good to work with and made good on any issues uncovered during my installation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts