Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this '65 in a barn recently.

It's a 65 GTO 389/4 speed muncie. The body is solid, especially considering it's a Michigan car. Original paint and everything. Most everything is straight, except the drivers side door is a little messed up and interferes with the fender when opened. The interior is pretty well shot, the carpet is fine but the seats and headliner are junk. The floor has four smallish rectangular holes where a rollcage was once. Interestingly enough, it has a driveshaft loop and what looks to be a scatter-shield bell housing. He thinks the previous owner may have punched the engine to a 401 and built it with some go-fast parts. Currently it has an edelbrock intake with a 4 barrel on it. But he does have a complete tripower setup in the trunk! It's got open headers. I'm not sure if it was an original trip power car? I forgot to snag a pic of the vin tag.

It has been sitting in a shed of a barn for the last few years and hasn't ran in 2 years. He's owned it for six years and payed $6000 for it and that's what he wants back out of it.

Soooo, is it worth his asking price of $6000?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the PHS documents confirm it is a 4 speed, tri power car and the casting number on the block is correct that would be a good deal.
I'm about certain that it isn't PHS documented. I'll have to check the block casting tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's a 389/4speed car. I'm not sure about the tri power part. If it was indeed a 4bbl car would that devalue the car significantly?

Is there any other way to determine its authenticity other than PHS? I'd rather not spend money on a car I haven't committed to yet.

I did get a pic of the firewall tag:

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
The 5N confirms that it is indeed a true GTO, if I were in the market for another project I would not hesitate to buy that car even if it came with the Carter AFB. The build date on the data plate was the 3rd week of May, the date stamp and casting number for the block are located on the distributor pad. The letter code for the block is on the front of the block just under the passenger side head.

Nice find! :cheers

·
Registered
574 Posts
To answer your question... Yes it's worth 6k. No it won't devalue the car if it's a 4 brl car instead of tri power. Run the tri power anyway as it won't hurt value either. If it WAS a 4 brl car just search for a intake and carb and keep them set aside while running the tri power.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, if you're not going to buy it, I'll drive over from MN and get it lol.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I would buy that car in a heartbeat for 6k. It would be worth that if it was an automatic with no options in that condition. If it is indeed a real tripower car, it is worth 10k plus in its present condition to the right buyer. Remember, born-with trips cars are worth 30% more or so than a 4bbl car. I would JUMP ON IT.

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
Indeed --- when I read about that car I was wishing I was closer to it. Mrs. Bear would probably be glad we don't ---- it looks just about perfect for what I'd want for my "next" project car.

Bear

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input guys! I put a deposit on the car and I should have it by Early June. After a closer inspection, I found some bondo and a few areas with overspray. Definitely not the original paint. :/

The door VIN tag reads: 237375P295071

And the block casting number is: 9790071

If anyone could interpret those numbers I would appreciate it. Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
For that kind of money, some bondo and non-original paint mean nothing. That is a killer deal. I paid $3000 for a 70 LEMANS and I have to replace the body.
Russ

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! I put a deposit on the car and I should have it by Early June. After a closer inspection, I found some bondo and a few areas with overspray. Definitely not the original paint. :/

The door VIN tag reads: 237375P295071

And the block casting number is: 9790071

If anyone could interpret those numbers I would appreciate it. Thanks again guys!
9790071 is the block casting#, either a '68 or '69 400. There's a date code by the distributor, ex D108(last digit is the year).

Vin:
2 - pontiac
37 - Le Mans
37 - hardtop
5 - 1965
P - Pontiac, MI(assembly plant)
295071 - production number

1 - 20 of 45 Posts