Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1967 400/400
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hate reality TV. I think it's designed to keep people from paying attention to the truth... That being said, IMO, it does the most damage by falsely steering our economics and molding our culture, however "mainstream" sees fit.

Everyone is now hunting for antiques... which wouldn't be so bad if the sellers werent charging 70% more than they're worth, thanks to these antique shows.

Our kids our mimicking the behaviors of these reality stars, and there are no morals.

But where does it suck the most? BARN FINDS!

Reality TV made barn finds "a thing". Who wants a car with dried out seals, rusty cylinders, seized universals, mice in the upholstery, seized bearings, bad tires, a cracked windshield, gnawed wires, corroded terminals, dry-rot weather strip, acorns in the exhaust, and is missing all 16 control arm bushings? Have any of you ever seen a climate controlled barn?

A car that has been on the road all along, would have none of those issues! Machines were not built to sit.

So, next time you're shopping for a GTO, when you see "Barn Find", either run away, or explain to the buyer that it's making the car worth less, and then set your friends and family straight on this, too.

Sorry for my opinion, but this crap keeps coming up in my news feeds on FB. And I hate the thought of some guy who has waited and saved his whole life for a GTO, getting suckered, into a bad deal, due to a pop culture phrase.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Very true regarding the perceived "high value" of a barn find these days. In days gone by, one could come across a barn-find or field-find and , yes, it was all those things you mentioned...basically rotten...BUT it was affordable, meaning stupid cheap...something a high schooler could get into and live the high-life. Bragging rights for an 18 year old to say they have a '67 "whatever" and they bought it for $500 made for $1000 worth of pride and excitement! My example was/is a '67 Mustang...$850 delivered with 20 gallons of rat's nest in the trunk, but that was before reality TV took to glorifying car restorations. There's nothing wrong with saving a fallen angel of a car...just don't get caught up in today's false bragging rights that surround the barn finds. They are only good if they have a VIN number that means something BIG, or the low price allows for the resurrection.

What gets me are the shows that take a decent project car, get it running, add some bling and a quick paint job, understate the costs associated with the "restoration", film the car such that you can't see the areas that didn't get touched, and then hype-up how great the car is and how great they are. Too many friends, that have never worked on a car , now think that it is easy and cheap. What the show doesn't show is the look on the customer's face after they get it home and the exhaust falls off, brakes stop working, wiring melts down, etc and their true car friends show all the areas that need more work.

I'd be sooooo pissed off if a family member turned my car over to one of these reality shows for "free" restoration and it came back with a Maco paint job and a chrome Mr Gasket air cleaner.

It's a shame the pop culture is going this way...you just have to be quick enough to dodge the doo-doo.

Good thing you started this thread on a Friday. IF it were a Monday...you'd gotten a lot more attitude. Reality TV gets me worked up especially when beloved cars are involved. Dare I say the word Haunted House reality TV....good thing it's Friday.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very true regarding the perceived "high value" of a barn find these days. In days gone by, one could come across a barn-find or field-find and , yes, it was all those things you mentioned...basically rotten...BUT it was affordable, meaning stupid cheap...something a high schooler could get into and live the high-life. Bragging rights for an 18 year old to say they have a '67 "whatever" and they bought it for $500 made for $1000 worth of pride and excitement! My example was/is a '67 Mustang...$850 delivered with 20 gallons of rat's nest in the trunk, but that was before reality TV took to glorifying car restorations. There's nothing wrong with saving a fallen angel of a car...just don't get caught up in today's false bragging rights that surround the barn finds. They are only good if they have a VIN number that means something BIG, or the low price allows for the resurrection.

What gets me are the shows that take a decent project car, get it running, add some bling and a quick paint job, understate the costs associated with the "restoration", film the car such that you can't see the areas that didn't get touched, and then hype-up how great the car is and how great they are. Too many friends, that have never worked on a car , now think that it is easy and cheap. What the show doesn't show is the look on the customer's face after they get it home and the exhaust falls off, brakes stop working, wiring melts down, etc and their true car friends show all the areas that need more work.

I'd be sooooo pissed off if a family member turned my car over to one of these reality shows for "free" restoration and it came back with a Maco paint job and a chrome Mr Gasket air cleaner.

It's a shame the pop culture is going this way...you just have to be quick enough to dodge the doo-doo.

Good thing you started this thread on a Friday. IF it were a Monday...you'd gotten a lot more attitude. Reality TV gets me worked up especially when beloved cars are involved. Dare I say the word Haunted House reality TV....good thing it's Friday.
One of my more prevalent hobbies is metal art, so I've bee repurposing crap for decades. The crap used to be free.

I don't mind paying for it... but thanks to "Las Vegas, reality TV", people think that everything "Coke" is worth millions.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
And you used to be able to get some nice petrolina garage metal signs for a fair price. Now everyone thinks every “Gas and Oil” sign is worth thousands. That has caused a giant repopulate market in signs, some look good and some really bad….

eventually the market will correct on these things but it takes years.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And you used to be able to get some nice petrolina garage metal signs for a fair price. Now everyone thinks every “Gas and Oil” sign is worth thousands. That has caused a giant repopulate market in signs, some look good and some really bad….

eventually the market will correct on these things but it takes years.
Yep. We were Christmas shopping at a flea market when GF found a tin Pontiac sign, and rushed to buy it for me.

It was heartbreaking to explain, that while I appreciated the thought, I was interested in having the sign from the window of the Pontiac dealership, down on Route 30, in 1983...

Not the one which was made by 12-year-old, Ho-chee Min, last week in North Korea.

Nevertheless, now we're the proud owner of a Pontiac sign, which looks like the $250 sign that I want, but cost us $15 to buy and is worth $1

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Repop signs are various quality. There are double sided porcelain Re pops of old signs. They actually look pretty good. The thing is you want to know what it is.

As long as you are not fooled and you like it go for it. Because that original sign is now $3500, and the repop is $300…..just don’t buy it thinking it is original

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I hate reality TV. I think it's designed to keep people from paying attention to the truth... That being said, IMO, it does the most damage by falsely steering our economics and molding our culture, however "mainstream" sees fit.

Everyone is now hunting for antiques... which wouldn't be so bad if the sellers werent charging 70% more than they're worth, thanks to these antique shows.

Our kids our mimicking the behaviors of these reality stars, and there are no morals.

But where does it suck the most? BARN FINDS!

Reality TV made barn finds "a thing". Who wants a car with dried out seals, rusty cylinders, seized universals, mice in the upholstery, seized bearings, bad tires, a cracked windshield, gnawed wires, corroded terminals, dry-rot weather strip, acorns in the exhaust, and is missing all 16 control arm bushings? Have any of you ever seen a climate controlled barn?

A car that has been on the road all along, would have none of those issues! Machines were not built to sit.

So, next time you're shopping for a GTO, when you see "Barn Find", either run away, or explain to the buyer that it's making the car worth less, and then set your friends and family straight on this, too.

Sorry for my opinion, but this crap keeps coming up in my news feeds on FB. And I hate the thought of some guy who has waited and saved his whole life for a GTO, getting suckered, into a bad deal, due to a pop culture phrase.
Oh so true!

In 1987, I found my 65 GTO in a woman's back yard. The grandchildren were basically using it as a playground. After some negotiating and back and forth with her family, I bought it for $1,000, got it running and drove it home. Other variables were involved too, but with the "Barn Find" attitude these days, her family would have never let it sell at that sort of price.

And, I believe, way more important than how media influences our economy and hobbies, is how it influences many of our core beliefs. The fundamental beliefs the current young generation is being taught through pop-culture media is frightening and self destructive. We "unplugged" from standard, main stream media years ago. It was a great decision for our family.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well you did it again Army. You picked the right topic for a Friday. You know, the day when most of us unwind for the weekend, crack open a beer that turns into way more, and then get fired up for the rest of the night. I'm glad I saw this early because you may have gotten a more incomprehensible rant from me later. That being said, I'll keep it simple since it's early (and I'm only on beer #1).

Ahem...

I blame the hipsters!

Ever seen someone make a brass era car look lame? Well I have! I went to a car show that was loaded with hipsters and this one guy did just that. He pulled in wearing a stupid had and a handlebar mustache and saddle shoes. I'm not sure what decade he was trying to fit into, but the car, clothes, and facial hair were all from different decades of the 20th.

I'll apologize to any hipster members we may have in advance. That being said, this entire thread will probably hit home and rub the wrong way anyway.

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
589 Posts
This is why my Dad called it an idiot box way back in the 70s. Your IQ drops the longer you watch. I relate it to build work bench out of old pallets. Hundreds of little drawer 8 inches off the floor would have to stand on your head to use. Dozens of nails holding pallet wood to a panel door for a work top. So basically a workbench that you couldn't use.

ARMY, I find my in a barn everyday. Does that count?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, as that pudgy little Schitt, Ben Mecum, told me one time when they horned in on a private deal I had going on a car I spent 1-1/2 years tracking down..... "Hey, it's free enterprise"

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Hey army I posted for the first time on my Hagerty newsletter because I couldn't resist when a story came up about a "barn find " of an old Lincoln convertible. All the comments were agreeing with your point and I added fuel calling barn finds junk yards with a leaky roof 🤣 Then I finished up using your tag line barn finds suck...hope you don't mind 😉

·
Registered
114 Posts

Totally agreed. While I did actually find my GTO technically in a barn in Oregon 22 years ago, it was a car periodically driven and mechanically sound. but why you talkin smack about Mr Gasket air cleaner? lol that was the schizzle in my HS days. HAHA

·
Registered
114 Posts
Also... Girls are now paying $200 a pair, for Levis with holes in them. AND THE HOLES ARENT EVEN IN COOL PLACES!

Gee whiz... if you're going to put holes in girls jeans, at least get a few on the crotch and seat!
I saw a great show that showed how they make those holey jeans. I mean, when I was younger I made the holes myself and NOT on purpose. they stretch the jeans out on a rack and use a freaking belt sander on them! SMH.......

·
Registered
639 Posts
I saw a great show that showed how they make those holey jeans. I mean, when I was younger I made the holes myself and NOT on purpose. they stretch the jeans out on a rack and use a freaking belt sander on them! SMH.......
I used to do a ton of travelling for work. One of the places that brought me was to a chemical plant that made clothing dyes. They provided customer support (and ran classes if I remember correctly) in how to distress clothing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts