Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a silly question but I just bought a Deltran battery tender plus for my 06 GTO that I'm storing for the winter. I'm leaving the battery in the car do you guys connect the negative of the tender to the car battery or the engine block? Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have always connected mine to the - terminal of my optima red top battery, then to the +, then plug into the wall. I am pretty sure it won't charge unless it is connected to the + and - negative battery terminals.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Put the tender on the battery as it is a battery tender. :) Mine came with a harness that stays attached to the battery all of the time and I have the line with plug from the tender hanging down by my car. The tender sits on top of the garage door opener. Whenever I don't drive it for more than a few days I just plug it in.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I have always connected mine to the - terminal of my optima red top battery, then to the +, then plug into the wall. I am pretty sure it won't charge unless it is connected to the + and - negative battery terminals.
It will charge if the positive is connected to the battery and the negative is connected to any ground point on the car. Until it's actually plugged in it doesn't matter what order you connect them as long as they are connected to the proper terminals.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
You could technically hook the positive up to the alternator and the negative to the tail pipe but it seems kind of silly as like I said the tender is for the battery why not keep it simple

1 - 7 of 7 Posts