Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My battery in my 68 GTO keeps running down. I have checked and double checked all my wires. Now my battery will not charge, I put it on a charger then tried to start it, it would turn the motor over about twice and then just click. I pulled my battery off my pickup and it started right up. I have a new alt, voltage reg, and the battery is only 3 months old. It is a Duralast 1000 cranking amp battery, Any ideas?

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Take the battery back to were you bought it and have it tested. It may be dead due to the no charging condition.
With your truck battery in there verify that the charging system is working with a volt meter. Non running battery voltage should be anywhere from 11.5v to 13v. Running it should be more then 14v but I wouldn't want to see it higher then 15v.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
:agree In this day and age....just because something is new, dosen't mean it is good......sounds like a defective battery to me....

·
Registered
24 Posts
changed two duralast in two different cars this year 1 18 months old 1 25 months old one duralast five years ago shorted out without warning and my tahoe could not even be jumped had to get new battery to start

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Stated this a few times:

I am a proponent of Declo premium batteries. Only because of nearly 40 years of never being let down. 5 vehicles of mine have one. Bought a 1988 4Runner new in '88. Factory battery lasted 3 years. Delco premium installed in 1991. It was just replaced 3 weeks ago. Not bad for a 7 year battery and it sat for 9 months at a time in cold and hot weather. Some battrery tending when it needed it is all it got.

Everyone has their own preference mine is Delco. Put one in my '70 GTO as well... its the only battery I buy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts