Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use battery tender on all my vehicles and ATV’s, lawnmower etc. I live in a cold winter are which seems to me kills battery’s. I know people who replace their smaller batteries ATVs almost every year. Mine last many years. One question do the battery tenders that don’t turn off and left on for many months ever over change a battery??
Thanks Desertman

·
Registered
336 Posts
I use battery tender on all my vehicles and ATV’s, lawnmower etc. I live in a cold winter are which seems to me kills battery’s. I know people who replace their smaller batteries ATVs almost every year. Mine last many years. One question do the battery tenders that don’t turn off and left on for many months ever over change a battery??
Thanks Desertman
If you mean Battery Tender brand, no those are float point maintainers.
If you mean the generic term battery tender, that usually is the term that most vendors use to describe a float point maintainer, so again no.
Leaving a maintainer on a battery that is out of service is the absolute best thing you can do.
Winter is good for your battery if you keep it charged. A battery is a chemical reaction in a box. When out of service you want that reaction to proceed as slowly as you can. Cold will do that for you.
Heat is what kills batteries. You may not find out your battery has lost half it capacity until that first cold morning, but the summer heat is what did it in.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks Desertman
The reason so many people replace their atv/tractor/boat etc battery every year is that they do not use a maintainer and just let it sit discharged. Death sentence for your battery.
Under my solar panels I still have a few batteries from the last century.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Walmart is my go-to battery store. It seems like it’s the sweet spot on the price/value scale. I buy the biggest CCA rating with the longest warranty, on the theory that it will live longest.
I disconnect the negative battery terminal when I store the car. The negative terminal is adjusted so that I can install and remove it without tools-just press down on the terminal and twist slightly.

And keep the battery terminal brush handy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Battery Tender calls various sizes "The Battery Tender® Junior 12V, 750mA Battery Charger and Maintainer " . I keep one of the smaller ones on my tractor between jobs winter and summer. I replaced the last one after 7 years, it had a 90 day battery warranty. Will a i.e. 750mA BC&M charge an auto battery that is dead, of course not. :eek: Battery Chargers.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts