Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Competing at the Texas Musclecar Club Challenge race. 1st time trial pass: 11.86 at 113 MPH. Pulled hard all the way through. 1.76 60 ft.

Bear

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
That's a nice pass but if you drop your time another 4 tenths, you'll need a roll cage... You're gettin to the 60' pretty quick....what's your reaction time ??

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uh, let's not talk about reaction time, ok? :eek: :rolleyes:

I was all over the map - from glacial to red. In eliminations I went out in the first round because I was .012 too quick on the trigger. At these races they have a "consolation bracket" for folks who go out in the first two rounds, so I signed up for that. My first pass in that group was .02 off my dial -- 11.96 on an 11.94, but it was the worst reaction time I had all day so that was out the window too.

All in all though, I'm ecstatic that this thing really is an 11-second car. I was running it in -drive- too, so maybe if I start shifting in manually I'll find some more in it. (Or maybe fiddle with the trans governor to hold each gear longer). Right now the car is a whole lot better than the driver is, but I'm learning... :D

There was a guy at the track taking photos, they were kinda pricey, but I had to get one anyway - right? This is the launch on the 11.86 pass (which turned out to be the best pass of the day).

Bear

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
I've run my '66 Chevelle a few times and there has been a photographer there too but my car isn't worth having a pic of. Yours looks great !!
Working on reaction time is painful. Last time out I had wrinkle walls on and it threw my RT off. I started at .6 but after a few practice launches, I was able to get it down to .02 I'm running an M20 also, so I was letting the clutch out as soon as the last yellow came on and by the time the tires bit, the green was lit...:D

There's something about drag racing that gets in your blood and never leaves. Until last year, I hadn't been on a track since 1979 but the thrill was still there. Nothing like dumping the clutch and hammering gears down a track...:cheers

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I knew you had an 11 second car! With a bit of practice (which you seem to be getting) I'll bet you will be in the 11.20-11.30 area. I vote for leaving it in "D" for consistency's sake for now.....(though I'm no bracket racer) What a great looking/sounding/ running car--well done!!

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jeff :D

Well, I don't want to go quite that quick.. I don't have a roll-bar and one is required at 11.49 and under :D

There was another Dapa club member out at the event with a gorgeous red 67. It's an 11.50 car wide open, but he runs a fabricated "screw" throttle stop on it and sets a 12.00 dial-in because that's where he likes to be. He's deadly consistent on the tree too and is the points leader in the TMCC series this season. He was in the final Sunday. I have't been able yet to find out how he did, I had to leave early.

I'm leaning towards giving one of these a try...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-326500/

Bear

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Man, that looks like fun! What are the specs on your Car? Motor, tranny, rear end gear? I'm curious, wondering what my '68 would run. I haven't had mine to the track since I've owned it, would like to do a little more tweeking first. I've got a Butler 474 with a 200 4R out of a Buick Grand National thats been built for the track. Moser axles in the back with adjustable control arms and 373 gears. Little high for the track but nice combo with the overdrive gear in the tranny for cruising. I'd like to put some new clutches in the tranny and put the MSD ingition on it and some drag radials. Are those M/T drag radials on your car? I've heard they hook good. Well, first things first, get the bumper on straight!

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Bear, Some very nice runs! Ain't nothin' wrong with an 11:36 either!!!!!! Hope fully I'll be posting some videos before winter !!!:party::party::party:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Bear you shoulda gotten in touch with me! I live not even a few miles from the motorplex. Woulda liked to have seen that car run in person.

Tho mine still needs work.. All my car does is spin with the new motor WITH 2.73's and 1 tire fire! lol. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bear you shoulda gotten in touch with me! I live not even a few miles from the motorplex. Woulda liked to have seen that car run in person.

Tho mine still needs work.. All my car does is spin with the new motor WITH 2.73's and 1 tire fire! lol. :D
I didn't know you lived near there, but now I do. I'll try to remember to holler the next time I'm going to be out there.

This weekend in Denton there'a another TMCC race. I'm thinking about going..

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
"Pretty fast car there, but, well, y'know..... my sister-in-law's cat's grandmother had a hemi powered Valiant wagon-- a factory experimental, mind you--- that would certainly blow the doors off of that there GTO. Not saying that you're slow, no Sir, Mr. Bear, not saying that a'tall--- just telling it like it was told to me!! They had to put a wing on the roof just to keep the dang thing planted!!

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah GeeTee, I've heard about those Valiants.... didn't they come stock with Mickey Thompson special high-speed bumper bolts and 3/4 race valve stem caps?

Bear

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
"Pretty fast car there, but, well, y'know..... my sister-in-law's cat's grandmother had a hemi powered Valiant wagon-- a factory experimental, mind you--- that would certainly blow the doors off of that there GTO. Not saying that you're slow, no Sir, Mr. Bear, not saying that a'tall--- just telling it like it was told to me!! They had to put a wing on the roof just to keep the dang thing planted!!
HEMI is always in caps. :rolleyes:

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Dang! you guys are right....must've forgot....I KNEW the 3/4 race thing should have been plugged into the equation somewhere....after all, it's what ALL the Runners are Running!! And HEMI should have been capped, too. After all, it was 'ported and relieved and stroked and bored'....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts