Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about hitting bottom...

There's another TMCCC race tomorrow, and my LM-2 arrived so I was really keen to see if I could fix my fuel delivery problem.

Sorry.. it's just not in me right now to write some long story.

Took it out, hammered it, problem still existed - on the way home I smelled gas.
A voice told me I should pull over and shut it off, try to spot the leak, but noooo....
I figured I could get it home.
3 blocks from the house the fire started.
Coasted up in front of the house, ran inside and grabbed a fire extinguisher and got it out, but looks like most everything on top of the motor is cooked.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Damn....that sucks Bear, and we were just talking about the extinguisher, hope its just cosmetic, i would get a hold of the insurance company. I can feel your pain, took the Tempest out for a thrashing Thursday and i think the torque finally caught up to the TH350 and i lost 3rd gear after a little foot in the hole run. Thinking i may have toasted the torque converter, know next to nothing about transmissions.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds to me like your direct clutch gave up. If it'll move in any gear it's not the converter.

I just went out and surveyed the damage a little..
Wiper motor, probably the HEI, engine harness, ignition relay, everything center firewall is all crispy. Carb is black, vacuum pull-off diaphragm is now a puddle baked onto the intake manifold. Melted all the foam in the ram air system. Bubbled the surface of the a/c firewall plate - if I replace that then I've got to open up the system and recharge it because the hoses have to be disconnected.
Shifter is all bound up - it might have cooked the inside of the steering column I guess and seized up the back drive linkage.

And I just found some bubbles in the paint on the hood.

I'll call Hagerty I guess and talk to them and find out what options I have. I'm a little anxious about that though, what if they do like other insurance companies do and tend to cancel you if you file a claim?

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Oh man, so sorry to hear this. Thank goodness you were close to home and able to get the fire out before it cooked the whole car. I carry a fire extinguisher in every car I own. I learned the HARD way when i lost my 65 Plymouth Satelite to a fire 4 months after completing a resto mod on it top to bottom. That was a $15K lesson....in 1992 :(. Watched it burn to the ground and had no insurance and had to pay to get the burnt out hulk towed home.

Fire is a real bitch and scary as hell. I'm sure glad you are OK and the Beast will rise from the ashes soon I'm sure. :cheers

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
i hear Haggerty is good, Classics is what they do. i would go out and get shop price insurance estimates even though i am sure you will be doing it yourself. I do a lot of construction insurance work and the prices are drastically different than direct retail. They use a program similar to exactimate for the estimate. first check your coverage and see what any disclaimers are, as to where when and how the claimed incident happened.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Aargh!

SO SAD to hear, Bear! Glad you're ok. Didn't we just talk about this a couple of weeks back when I had my little episode? Mine has been dismantled for a new fan installation, but will not be run until I get an extinguisher (one specifically for chemicals and GASOLINE). Let this be a lesson for ALL of us! Keep the chin up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Bear, sorry to hear about that, but glad it wasn't worse. I've seen/heard of cars burning to the ground from small fires getting out of control.
I have had two claims with Hagerty over about a 10 year period. First one the front wheel came off my '74 Corvette (long story) and I think it was about $2500 to fix. They sent a check the same day I sent them the estimate and pictures and never even sent an adjuster. The second one my same Corvette slipped off a jack. This cost about $5K to fix IIRC because a lot of painting had to be done to blend it in (door, hood surround, etc). My rates haven't increased significantly and they definitely haven't cancelled me. I have another friend who has made two pretty big claims with Hagerty, has been with them a few years less than me, and also hasn't been cancelled. I would recommend you get a thorough estimate to get *everything* fixed and file the claim.
Good luck! The worst part (besides all the extra work) is having your toy out of service for a while.
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, we did just talk about extinguishers and I'd gotten as far as researching which one I wanted to buy, but hadn't done it yet. The heck of it is, I've got a few extra dry powder ones around here so I could have easily been carrying one in the mean time, but no - I had to hold out for the fancy one that wasn't corrosive. What else would you expect from a moron who's stupid enough to keep driving a car that's leaking fuel? :shutme

I've still got no idea where the leak was and probably won't find it now. The fire appears to have been mostly from the carb backwards.
I've been up since 4am and I'm itching to get out there and start taking things apart to size it all up, but trying to wait until Hagerty opens (noon eastern today) so I can talk to someone first.

(just call me Smokey) Bear

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news bear, but keep your spirits up, just knowing it could have been a lot worse! After all the sweat equity we put in these cars, I hate to even think of incidents like these, fender-benders, etc..

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Bear!!!! That SUX bro....hope it didn't ruin the paint job......my Baumann Opti shift computer failed 3 days ago...for no apparent reason. I HATE, and DREAD ELECTRONIC stuff. Eric:willy:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Ouch

Sorry to hear that Bear. My takeaway is to learn from your experience as I too was thinking about extinguishers. Now I'll act! Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Bear
That's the pits....sorry man
I have never dealt with Haggerty in my shop, but I have heard they are pretty good to deal with
Good Luck

Bill

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Like Alky said, good thing you were close to home, otherwise, it would have ended up a lot worse. So I guess that's the bright side. Still bites that it happened. Sounds like you shouldn't have any issues with Hagerty. Another plus....

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Bear, might want to consider something like this -

Fire Fight Supplemental Halon Fire Suppression Systems

Nice because you can hide the bottle and just push a button. Bad thing is you can't direct it at a fire if its not where your nozzles are. I really need something like this because Methanol has no color when it is burning, you just see the heat waves. Another reason I don't run a hood lol. When my first hotrod caught fire it had a two piece fibreglass front clip and the hood was held on with dzus fastners. By the time i got it off it was too late and the car was fully involved. That was a baaaad day :(.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bear,
that's a heart breaker, I'm really sorry to hear about it.
I'm glad you're ok, and that's #1. We all know you will have her
back and badder than ever in no time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts