Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the info I picked-up with my car included Rochester Swap Sheet listings from 1977 & 1978 which was the time frame my dad originally sold their GTO. These ads are specific to 1967 GTOs, but I thought some of you might get a kick out of seeing the prices back then. In case any 36-yr old phone numbers are active :jawDrop:, I blacked them out for privacy.

You may have to zoom them up a bit to view. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks. One has a 389 which could be correct if they blew up the original motor. But the one with the 396?!?!?

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Makes me glad I never got rid of the $1200 '65 GTO and the $1800 '67 GTO I bought back then out of the newspaper ads!! Drove both of them this weekend......

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Even the 3000 dollars cars listed would be bargains today. That's roughly 11K today.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I remember looking at an absolutely mint Fontaine Blue/parchment '65 GTO 4 speed convertible in 1980 for $2500. It was worth it, but just out of my reach. That was big money then, but it would take $40,000 to buy that same exact car today. Shoulda coulda woulda.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"But the one with the 396?!?!? "

Sure; people have been sticking Chevy engines in everything forever.
S&K Performance had a a dedicated engine swap package so you could install a 454 Chevy and Hooker headers in a GTO. One of the car mags ran an article (maybe early-mid 70s?) on them dropping it into a 1967 gto back when it was getting harder to find replacement Pontiac racing engines.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
S&K Performance had a a dedicated engine swap package so you could install a 454 Chevy and Hooker headers in a GTO. One of the car mags ran an article (maybe early-mid 70s?) on them dropping it into a 1967 gto back when it was getting harder to find replacement Pontiac racing engines.
I think they also made a similar kit for the 60s Buick Special/Skylark because I recall my neighbor doing a 454 Chevy swap into one of those back in the day.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nightshade-

Do you have any photos of your car posted here? That's a good looking and rare color. I'm not sure I've seen one in person. And an HO to boot. Nice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts