Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 GTO with a 1972 455 engine.
I'm trying to figure out how to quiet my belts (AC/altenator/Power Steering).
I tried spraying them with STP Belt dressing which fixes the problem for about 5 minutes and then the noise comes back.
I installed NAPA belts about two years ago.
They still look new as they should, no glaze, no dry rot or cracks.
I only have about 200 miles on them.
I checked the tension which seems to be correct.
Any ideas?
Should I scrap the belts for a better brand?
What is the best brand?

·
Registered
827 Posts
gates belts are what I use, NAPA belts may be gates, but you are right that belt dressing never really works. TWO years, I would get two new gates belts and then when off clean those pulleys real good like with some brake cleaner and a towel.

If there is the slightest amount of oil, power steering fluid, trans fluid etc dripped on the pulley could make em slip.

Now when you spray the brake cleaner bent over the front hold your breath for 10 minutes or so as that is not good to breath in, :nonod::nonod:

also it will make your hearing more acute so you can hear your wife sneaking up behind you :eek2::eek2:mad that you are cleaning your pulleys with her new towel from Bed, Bath and beyond the universe.:mad2:

Definitely change the belts as after cleaning and holding your breath you don't want to go thru that again.:nopity:

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think so, probably make the best.

But maybe there is some super racing Kevlar Stella belted titanium model with GPS!

I bet those NAPA were gates, doubt NAPA has a belt factory, but could be wrong

·
Registered
58 Posts
Are we talking a squawk or a squeal. A belt simply working through the groove or actual slipping.

If the belt is way down in the v-groove the load could be transfered to the flat inside edge of the belt instead of both sides of the V-belt.

While changing the belts inspect the pulley grooves for ware. The alternator pulley is normally the most worn. Because of its small size, it takes the most load and heat.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
My experience with belts on my '68 Lemans was that most belts are made smaller in width and seat too low in the pulley groove. They slipped, and in my case, kept flipping over or off at high RPM's. I got the Napa belts that have a corrugated looking design on the belt -they were not the typical smooth style belt. Problem solved and never threw a belt again. They also fit as they are supposed to.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
gates belts are top quality. I sold them for many years. however, any brand belt made today are not made like they used to be. there used to be a layer of rubber on the V surface that rode on the pulleys. now they are just cut to the V shape. if you look at the belt, you can see the nylon threads.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if this is true or not however; I read on another site that Napa has two grades of belts. Top line is Gates premium belt. Second line is labeled "Power-Fit". Both are supplied by Gates but the second line is sourced from Mexico & Korea(not made by Gates). Top line is EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) belt while the second line is neoprene belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts