Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since theres no better place to get real reviews from genuine people id like to know which brands, parts, shops and people that worked well with you and for you. I've started upgrading my 1966 GTO, Tri-Power 4 speed and ive been looking into upgrades for handling, suspension, performance and just in general maintenance. Its been sitting for 20+ years now and i just got her going, she needs u joints, bearings, spindles, she also sits low and uneven so id like to get her coil overs. Which brands worked best for you in your endeavors, restoring or maintaining your GTO?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
There was discussion here on using the best size Springs to Lift a ‘66 just enuf , they are the generally preferred meathod instead of using air shocks-or bags-
they were the ones originally used on GM station wagons , but were also great on this year A-body car, I think they can still be-ordered at Summit, but not sure , prob their always avail at Franks Pontiac used parts type places as well, check out the both threads below, ‘ALittle Lift’&
‘minesa’66 thread’

A little Lift

·
Registered
1967 400/400
722 Posts
I just completely rebuilt a 67, which had been sitting for decades. I used Global West upper and lower fronts, UMI standard coils all the way around, with a 1" spacer in the rear. Global West rear lower control arms and QA1 uppers. Blistein shocks all the way around. Napa top teir universal joints, tie rods, sleeves, and idler arm.

This is the second car that I did in all Global West, and yes, it's a bit pricier... but the bushings and balljoints are made in the USA, professional race grade. Some of the other arms have very cheap, CHEAP balljoints and bushings.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
722 Posts
With the vette, options were limited, but with the A Body stuff, I see so many arm options... and they're as low as $300. However, take a good look at the hardware in those kits. Yes, welded chromoly tubing, at the right dimensions, should all be fairly the same, but the higher end stuff puts a considerable amount of thought into the geometry as well.

If the arm is welded, giant beefy tubing, but the balljoints are from Dollar General, it's not worth it. Watch the Global West videos (on their site) about the Delalum bearings, and look at the suspension shafts and joints.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
722 Posts
I will say this... For the argument of OEM or "Updating". I am a strictly stock-appearance advocate, but I do want modern reliability, handling, steering, brakes, and ride.

My brother in law, who was one of my best friends, died about ten years ago and I just inherited his entire military collectible collection, yesterday. It's a massive and extremely valuable collection, but I know that he didn't enjoy it while he was alive, because he was too busy guarding it and growing it.

I will always adore an all original GTO, but while I'm still here, I'm going to drive mine every chance that I get, like it was meant to be driven. I could go 120 MPH either way, but with the modern stuff, I dont need to change my pants afterward.

Not trying to sway opinions, just offering perspectives.

·
Registered
1971 GTO resto mod. Modified 428 HO, 4 sp (built by midwest muncie) Dana 60, 3.55 rear
58 Posts
As NOS stated, New Old Stock and slightly worn original parts will be the easiest to bolt up, But scarcity and cost would tend to hinder. Like Army. I plan on driving my GTO, sometimes hard and fast. All I can say is do your research on aftermarket vendors before purchase. The vendors that have supplied parts for my drive train and suspension are - Midwest Muncie, Strange Engineering, Wilwood, Bilstein, Detroit Speed, Hotchkiss and Energy Suspension.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Yeah I’m referring to the real world with parts. Yes I’m buying quality parts but this car is being driven and I’m not going to worry about getting NOS parts for it , Damn I got to eat too and a wife who loves Shoes!

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
260 Posts
I plan to drive mine well into the future. I don't care if I have to outfit it for shine or a GE electric motor. What ever it takes I dont care where the parts are from as long as they work. A car is meant to drive first and for most. My littlest are 3 year old twins. They are not going to grow up with a project in the garage. I plan to have it up and running every year. Do the major refurb in the fall.

Its not a Pontiac GTO / Lemans its mine

I use moog , bilstein, and sole provider of repro parts if that is all thats out there.

Its not a Taiwan anything. I dont think its been out of the country. I am still waiting on passports

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
260 Posts
With the twins it looks like you'll be needing rear shoulder belts.
No doubt. Have you seen a third shoulder belt installed? I got a cougar thinking it would be just me and the wife in the later years. Well its obvious it will never be just the two of us.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
No doubt. Have you seen a third shoulder belt installed? I got a cougar thinking it would be just me and the wife in the later years. Well its obvious it will never be just the two of us.
I'm not sure if the 67 had provisions for rear shoulder belts, the 68 and up do. If not it shouldn't be hard to install.
Heres a few photos of the rear shoulder belts in the later cars.

tempImageyCxK5r.png

A1330ED5-4EA3-48FB-A8A1-D2024C9F1837_1_105_c.jpeg

382577AA-7435-4625-BCAD-416BCA7B86E7_1_201_a.jpeg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts