Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oh my gawd....

:eek:

That sparking looked like it might have been intentional because it was so even, but I don't know.

Did you hear the explosion-like 'boom' towards the end? The guy on camera says something too, and I think something blew.

But I honenstly couldn't say what. Did you see how close he was coming from the sidewall towards the beginning? There was so much smoke I didn't know if he could see his a$$ was spinning within yards of the wall!!

:eek:

·
Registered
418 Posts
You do realize thats an older Holden Monaro,,you know like the cars we drive...
:D
Its closer to a 70s Chevelle/GTO than a Nova,,in fact some
of the sheetmetal was shared with the early 70s GTO.. ;)

The sparks are the rims ,,in those Aussie burnout contests
they go till they literally blow the tires off the rims.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That was wild, way over the top.

I've seen plenty of burnouts, but the drivers STOP either before, or immediately after blowing out a tire (like Denny Hamlin's burnout yesterday, though he nosed against the wall to hold the car in place while doing the burnout).

·
Registered
58 Posts
OdinGrey said:
What was with the sparks coming from the back? I wonder if that was intentional...

i think the sparks where the steel belts in the tires being exposed right before the tires blew. i don't think it was the rims unless they where steel because i don't think alumminum (sp?) will spark like that

·
Registered
40 Posts
Those flashes were Ignitors on the exhaust.

Both tires were intact when he was done.

If you knotice, there was a steady stream of flames, both from the inner area away from the tires. - The pops were backfires when he let off the gas for a second.

Basically, all you need is a spark plug at the exhaust to ignite the un-burned fuel.

There was a company selling kits for it - think they were calling them 'FlameThrowers'

Was big on hot rods in the 50s.

ShadesOfGrey

·
Registered
746 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
You do realize thats an older Holden Monaro,,you know like the cars we drive...
:D
Its closer to a 70s Chevelle/GTO than a Nova,,in fact some
of the sheetmetal was shared with the early 70s GTO.. ;)

The sparks are the rims ,,in those Aussie burnout contests
they go till they literally blow the tires off the rims.
I was wondering about that b/c the guy was sitting on the right hand side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
:D yep, that there is a classic display of aussie muscle my fellow americans. Ironically enough, thats an old 1974 monaro. That video was takin at the perth drag way in western australia. Basically its an unwritten australia rule that in a burn-out comp, the real mean work there way down to the rims. Man those things really haul ass

1 - 18 of 18 Posts