Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me I cannot justify close 400 for one. I'm gonna have to really dislike the OEM shifter a whole lot before I would even consider spending that much. I know how great these work but I don't have any issues with mine to warrant that kind of money. I'd consider used.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
The GMM was probably the best mod I did to the car. Shifting is something you do all the time and the positive feel and effortless 2>3 shift made it well worth it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
:agree im looking to install the rip shift as well when i get my clutch replaced...i heard it was unbelievable too...but your right 400 is a bit lot for it, but i personally think it is worth it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
buy it directly from gmm it is $350 and shipping is included.. also the fact of the matter is it IS kinda spendy for what it is.. but it is worth it because it is the best shifter out there for the gto simply because the b&m are known to break and the others are just a shorter version of the stock one which sucks because of how loose the linkage is.. for example put your car in gear and notice how much your shifter still moves, without taking it out of gear. the gmm on the other hand has ZERO movement. also does any one have the race version? what are your thoughts on it?

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
buy it directly from gmm it is $350 and shipping is included.. also the fact of the matter is it IS kinda spendy for what it is.. but it is worth it because it is the best shifter out there for the gto simply because the b&m are known to break and the others are just a shorter version of the stock one which sucks because of how loose the linkage is.. for example put your car in gear and notice how much your shifter still moves, without taking it out of gear. the gmm on the other hand has ZERO movement. also does any one have the race version? what are your thoughts on it?
I have the "race" version and really like it with no issues. Some have reported noise but that may be from install technique or possibly a noisy transmission.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
For me I cannot justify close 400 for one. I'm gonna have to really dislike the OEM shifter a whole lot before I would even consider spending that much. I know how great these work but I don't have any issues with mine to warrant that kind of money. I'd consider used.
I was in the same boat as you, and the wife thought the same thing asking why spend $350+ on something. I had to actuly drive one to push me over. I hated the stick in the mud feeling and blowing shifts.
also does any one have the race version? what are your thoughts on it?
I have the race ver. I like it alot and don't regret it. Its alittle noisey at times and thats mostly due to the shifter knob witch don't do it that much really. My stock shifter made alittle noise thought the knob. Thats why they offer the street ver. because it uses the factory insulated shifter handle. The stock shifter assy is double insulated and dampens most of the driveline noise. The GMM is a direct mount so your going to get some noise. I used both boots the black one and the white one and still get a little to no noise.

·
Registered
336 Posts
ya i was the same way my buddy got one and before then i really didnt have a problem with the stock one but once i tried his i just had to have one! but what i really wondered about the race one is, is it shorter than your stock one was? because the street is the same height. or is it just more solid?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have a direct link to GMM? I have seen some 349.00 up to 399+ shipping on different sites.

·
Registered
172 Posts
the race is a sturdier version of the two, its totally street drivable and drives just like any regular manual. it does let more noise in, and it does vibrate a bit. but it lets you feel that the car is alive. 400+ horses and you want it to be a prius? its gonna be noisy, vibrate and feel a bit heavy. but its a million times better then a stick in glue feeling of the old crappy shifter, and thats the way the cas should have came from the factory! its THAT good.. 400$ is a bit steep, i paid 330 for mine a year ago.. but if you can find used, just snag that - they are bulletproof.

·
Registered
336 Posts
so is the race version shorter than the street version because i was thinkin i may get the race shaft and change out the street has any one driven both?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I believe they're the same height but not positive. If you guys want short check out the Billet. It's a little more but i think it feels better than the gmm.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I take it your getting the street version?
Yea I believe so....

I won't have to remove the shift knob as the whole assy will bolt up to the unit where as the race version shaft doesn't have a bushing to help reduce the noise (so I was told by a rip shift dealer). I don't race the car and both units offer the same in the way of performance (again told by that dealer). After reading various posts of those with the race version many post they feel increased vibration and noise. Talking to a few with the street they didn't notice the same as reported in the race version.

Gonna order it online 349.99 includes shipping.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I installed the race version last year. I did not notice any difference in "noise" after installing it. It is no problem for street use, and was the best $350 I've spent on this car. I bought it from JHP before they raised their prices. It took about two weeks to get to me.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, got the street version rip shifter installed. WOW what a difference. I understand now why so many rave about this. Although I never had an issue with the stock shifter, I learned I did but didn't know it until the first time I took the car out with it in. I purchased a gasket kit to add to the unit one for the bottom and 2 for the shifter linkage. The unit is quiet and no vibration. Shifts smooth and is solid. Amazing how different this unit is from stock. Should have done this before. Amazing.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I want so bad... but the idea of spending $350 on a shifter is just ming boggling.

I drove my buddys 06 with the Hurst and it was really nice, but def would go with GMM for the stock appearance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts