Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My favorite GTO‘S are the 1970, 1964, 68 & 69. I prefer the non stacked headlights. But I would love to own any year even a 74.. In My opinion The Gto was the nicest looking muscle car .

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Pontiac GTO styling engineers were the finest automobile artists within GM. The tail lights from 1964 -to- 1969 were my favorites as they were unique to the GTO...In 1970 they dropped the ball, and although I love the 1970 styling, they could have been more creative (sexier) with the tail light designs...for 1973 they really screwed it up, the tail end looks like you could let all the air out of the tires and do a little reverse snow plowing!...1974 got a more traditional set of GTO tail lights. 1965 and 1967 are my favorites as they blend into the body the best...not taking anything away from the 1966 although they could have blended the louvered tail lights better into the rear body panel and dropped the "Pontiac" lettering from the center....I'm not being critical here, my first GTO was a 1966 rag top (wish I still had it)....but I traded it for my 1967 GTO hardtop in 1968...paid a whopping $2,400 for it...and it's a mint burgundy beauty sporting a 455 bored .30 over, 1966 Tri-Power, M-21 Muncie with 3.55 Posi...just can't get tired of driving it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 1966 Pontiac GTO is absolutely beautiful, ( I used to own one) but you have to admit, the 1967 had some factory improvements that were very important, i.e: the dual master brake cylinder to eliminate total brake failure, the collapsible steering column, four way flashers, available front disc brakes, etc....But of course all of that can be added to the 1966 which a lot of owners do.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Kind of surprised there was not more 67s mention,my dad had one I love the tail on it too.and if you noticed a lot of Ford custom coupes copied the 67 taillights

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know what year...but one of the Ford Mustangs had tail lights that resembled the 1966 GTO...Pontiac was the GM leader in awesome automotive body styling, made the most beautiful cars to ever hit the roads (personal opinion of course)...today most have no design, all look the same..."Rubber Bumper Cars"...back in the day of REAL American Cars you could identify a car two blocks away because they all had distinctive beautiful designs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm glad someone else sees that too! Hammer...$100K SOLD!!...rolls off, left tailight out....geez
Ya, I always notice that and wonder why they don't fix that.
Probably the socket ground from the bumpy trailer ride.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same here...every place I go in my '67 I get admiration comments, and offers to buy...especially from those old enough to know what an AMERICAN Muscle Car is. At car shows folks are fascinated that a car as impressive as a 1967 GTO only cost $3,000...considering today's computer controlled junk that cost a second mortgage, and requires turbos to develop horsepower. I'm old enough to have witnessed the downfall of American manufacturing in general...and there are two major players responsible, the greed for higher gasoline prices, and the government's permission to import all the foreign junk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same here...every place I go in my '67 I get admiration comments, and offers to buy...especially from those old enough to know what an AMERICAN Muscle Car is. At car shows folks are fascinated that a car as impressive as a 1967 GTO only cost $3,000...considering today's computer controlled junk that cost a second mortgage, and requires turbos to develop horsepower. I'm old enough to have witnessed the downfall of American manufacturing in general...and there are two major players responsible, the greed for higher gasoline prices, and the government's permission to import all the foreign junk.
I have had 2 65's and a 67 GTO. 67 is my favorite tail light design.

·
Registered
32 Posts
57Tim You're a very lucky guy to own three glorious American Muscle Cars from the days when most of the cars on the street were AMERICAN made. For me the 1965 GTO tail lights, which they shared with the 1965 Lemans, were my second favorite...1967 GTO's tail lights are definitely "bad ass" how they blend in with the body design....love to know who the actual designer was?

·
Registered
11 Posts
57Tim You're a very lucky guy to own three glorious American Muscle Cars from the days when most of the cars on the street were AMERICAN made. For me the 1965 GTO tail lights, which they shared with the 1965 Lemans, were my second favorite...1967 GTO's tail lights are definitely "bad ass" how they blend in with the body design....love to know who the actual designer was?
I agree. I had to replace the whole panel on my 67 and that was 35 years ago.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same here, my 1967 GTO was a daily driver in the harsh winters of salt covered roads in Pennsylvania until 1972...I bought a "beater" to drive to work in...took the GTO off the street 'cause the tail lights were starting to rust, bought a new rear panel from GM, new front fenders, rear deck lid, all new stainless trim, new bumpers, had the Goat painted...and garaged it even since...and the "Tiger" doesn't go out in rain nor snow since then.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts