Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home from a High school lacrosse game down a major road. I saw an E92 M3 pull out of a street and follow me. He pulls up next to me, door handle to door handle and i gave it a big of juice. Nothin special but then we both pulled up to the red light.
After the standard finger pointing engine revving session, the light went green and we were off, Through first and second, i was pulling ahead. I shifted into 3rd and a corner came up and i was a car length ahead of him at about 90 and i noticed he let off and bowed out, so i did the same.
One small step for me, one big step for American muscle.:party:

·
Registered
377 Posts
So I was driving home from a High school lacrosse game down a major road. I saw an E92 M3 pull out of a street and follow me. He pulls up next to me, door handle to door handle and i gave it a big of juice. Nothin special but then we both pulled up to the red light.
After the standard finger pointing engine revving session, the light went green and we were off, Through first and second, i was pulling ahead. I shifted into 3rd and a corner came up and i was a car length ahead of him at about 90 and i noticed he let off and bowed out, so i did the same.
One small step for me, one big step for American muscle.:party:
That is an excellent kill. Mods?

·
Registered
215 Posts
nice kill man!! need some details....u an A4 or M6?? Mods??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys

Thanks,
i was impressed with myself to say the least, as i really thought that i was gonna lose, especially from a stop, given that i have really crappy tires on it (thank you dealerships) My car is an 05 M6, i just bought the car, so it is unfortunately still stock.
if anyone else has raced one of these, feel free to post it; they should be bit faster then our cars stock for stock.
Kurt

·
Registered
377 Posts
they should be bit faster then our cars stock for stock.
Kurt
No question, they definitely are. Sounds like you raced a 6speed in need of a driver mod.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im sure of it

They have more hp (not sure about torque) and are lighter then we are so they would be faster. Either way, im super happy with the kill

·
Registered
377 Posts
are they faster??? from what ive seen they have slower 0-60 and slower 1/4 mile times...of course BARELY though
Seen where? They are all over the mid/high 12s in the low teens.

·
Registered
266 Posts
They have more hp (not sure about torque) and are lighter then we are so they would be faster. Either way, im super happy with the kill
Nice kill!!!Fast in a straight line is one thing to consider. But as you may have noticed in the recent Motor Trend artical involving the Hennesy Camaro, Super Snake Mustang and the built up Dodge Challenger that wasn't so true. Their exact words were "Even more suprising was that the lightest, most powerful, smallest car wasn't the fastest...by a longshot" That was in reguards to the Super Snake pushing 750Hp. Horsepower doesn't mean you'll win just because your bigger. And last time I checked, EVERY race is a drivers race.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice kill!!!Fast in a straight line is one thing to consider. But as you may have noticed in the recent Motor Trend artical involving the Hennesy Camaro, Super Snake Mustang and the built up Dodge Challenger that wasn't so true. Their exact words were "Even more suprising was that the lightest, most powerful, smallest car wasn't the fastest...by a longshot" That was in reguards to the Super Snake pushing 750Hp. Horsepower doesn't mean you'll win just because your bigger. And last time I checked, EVERY race is a drivers race.
You and MT are incorrect. The published issue never stated, "by a longshot".

Also, the GT500 Snake was heavier by 20lbs yet 23rwhp more than the Camaro but 12rwtq less. The Camaro ran a 11.9 @ 121.3mph vs. the GT500 12.0 @ 120.1mph.

Overall gearing in 4th gear alone could account for the difference. Close enough that was a driver's race though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You and MT are incorrect. The published issue never stated, "by a longshot".

Also, the GT500 Snake was heavier by 20lbs yet 23rwhp more than the Camaro but 12rwtq less. The Camaro ran a 11.9 @ 121.3mph vs. the GT500 12.0 @ 120.1mph.

Overall gearing in 4th gear alone could account for the difference. Close enough that was a driver's race though.
You are correct about the "longshot" statement. "Even more suprising was that the lightest, most powerful, smallest car wasn't the fastest..."That was what they said though EXACTLY. We just threw the mag away like last week or I woulda quoted verbatum, but still. Completely disagree with you though, MT didn't miss it. Gearing is irrealavent, if that's an excuse they shoulda had that tuned better. Plus a large part of the test was on a complete test track which was what they were talking about. I recall it had much slower times throughout the track. Anyways a kill is a kill, and EVERY race IS a drivers race. Have my brother race my goat and me in the 1997 3000GT and I'll still beat him, he can't drive a stick worth a crap lol.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You are correct about the "longshot" statement. "Even more suprising was that the lightest, most powerful, smallest car wasn't the fastest..."That was what they said though EXACTLY. We just threw the mag away like last week or I woulda quoted verbatum, but still. Completely disagree with you though, MT didn't miss it. Gearing is irrealavent, if that's an excuse they shoulda had that tuned better. Plus a large part of the test was on a complete test track which was what they were talking about. I recall it had much slower times throughout the track. Anyways a kill is a kill, and EVERY race IS a drivers race. Have my brother race my goat and me in the 1997 3000GT and I'll still beat him, he can't drive a stick worth a crap lol.
There are several points of discussion here. First, MT falling for the 650hp claim from Hennessy. It's more like 705hp. The GT500 730hp assuming 15% loss for both.

On the road circut, the narrower P-zeros handicapped the GT500 immensely and that is why the Camaro turned a 91sec vs. the GT500SS @ 94.5sec. ALSO slower than the stock GT500 at 94.3sec. The stock Camaro SS did a 95.8sec. Also the GT500 has a much worse weight distribution.

The quarter mile differential could be ENTIRELY due to gearing and changing out the final drive is easier than the gear ratios of the transmission. No tuning was done there.

A driver's race is between closely matched cars like these. Otherwise all those ricers would have much better stories... :)

If anyone has the Motor Trend issue post the weight of the 3, I don't have the mag.
GT500SS 3944lb
Camaro HE650 3924lb
Challenger 4263lb

·
Registered
154 Posts
Seen where? They are all over the mid/high 12s in the low teens.
i got it a from a factory 1/4 mile times but come to think of it it must have been an 05/06 model.. also i saw on a m3 forum in the past a guy with a 09 was getting laughed at cause no one was believin him to have ran a 12.57 or something rather, ..so i just assumed they were not as fast as people liked to think considering m3 drivers themselves think its BS for 12.57 to be achieved stock with just DR.,,, the new m3s are quoted at 4.9 0-60

1 - 18 of 18 Posts