Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to see what the 0-60 time was for 100 octane gas, I went out to a quiet section of road with my stop watch. Imagine my surprise when my first try was about 6.1 seconds. Okay, for such a small amount of time, variations in when I pressed the button on the watch and when I stomped on the accelerator could readily account for several tenths of seconds difference.

I made several runs, the best was a 5.0 run - decent for a completely stock car.

What became obvious was that there's more to getting a good start than just flooring it. On Grand Nationals the best launch strategey was to hold the brakes, and give the engine just enough gas so the turbo showed 1 lb boost, then release the brakes. That way the turbo was all spooled up and you didn't suffer that lag time.

So how 'bout it? Has anybody experimented in getting a good GTO launch?

Larry

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cool Larry, I'm glad to see you have stepped up to the plate and decided to do some launch testing. There don't seem to be many people on this board interested in pounding the 1320'. Or at least talking about it.
Every piece of road is going to give you different results with your car. If you are really interested in getting the car to hook, look into a set of BFG drag radials. They offer a P275/40R17 that I am thinking should fit the car. They don't last long with everyday use, but it is a great compromise tire. You will be AMAZED at the difference that tires can make.
Just experiment with different stall RPM. Try various light throttle stalls and then just let your foot off of the brake to launch the car. After the initial lurch forward, you can smoothly hammer down. It's all about finess. When you do tires, you will have to start all over again with your technique, but it's good practice.
Did I mention practice?
We had a pretty active (domestic) street race scene around here not long ago, and I did my share of it. Now I realize that it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but It was quite educational. (I have been CLEAN for 11 months now. :cool ).
Knowing your car and how it will react is your best advantage when you are next to someone (practice). Every inch you gain off of the line is to your advantage. It's way harder to gain that distance back once you are both rolling.
Even if you are just doing this by yourself for fun, there is no substitute for practice and experimentation. The G-tech meters are a good form of measuring consistency. You wont get a truly accurate ET or MPH, but I think that the repeatability is good.

Whatevey you do, have fun and bee safe, Brian.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian,

Thanks for those tips. This is my regular drive to work everyday car, so going to slicks in Chicagoland isn't much of an option.

What I mostly wanted to see for myself was if that 100 octane gas (at $3.959/gallon) made any noticable difference. I figured I do a couple 0-60's with that gas in the car, then a couple later when I put normal Premium in.

Since I got the car, darn few other drivers have been brave enough to "test" the car at a stop light. I about sucked the headlights out of a Mustang with a couple teenie-boppers in it as I blew passed them, and I didn't even have to floor it to beat a "race honda" (what a oxymoron that is!)

But you are right, the initial launch is everything. Grand Nationals at their time, were the fastest stock cars built, but if the other guy had you off the line, you might as well let off the gas.

Doing these practice runs back-to-back as I did I could start to feel that just flooring it from a stop does press you back in the seat, but its not till the engine picks up to about 2500-3000 rpm that the motor really wakes up. Its probably that opening the throttle like that kills the vacuum in the intake manifold for just a moment, so doing a partial throttle, as you suggest would overcome that.

I'll look into those g-meters and I surely will keep "practicing" ! ;)

Larry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Larry keep up the work on testing this car out. I am personally set on getting the '05 model but love to hear about the cars potential from those that currently have one.

I love the fact that this car sports a classy euroesq interior and a heart thumping V8.

Plus this is one of the few cars of great quality that not everyone has.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Larry, Those BF Goodrich "drag radials" are nothing like a drag slick, It is a fully treaded street legal radial tire. It looks just like a standard radial, but with a softer compound tread and a little softer sidewall. With regular day to day driving, you would never know they were back there. The cops wont hassle you either. PLEASE do some research on these. You wont be dissapointed.
I've been known to "squeeze" the bottle on the old Poncho. You know, tap the unit, hit the system, use the little blue buddie.
I have a two stage nitrous system on my 65'. It's an NOS big shot kit with a 125 hp sub stage added. The second or main stage is jetted at 225.
The car has run 11.50s on the motor, and 10.78 on the bottle in full street trim.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooooh, nitrous oxide! Sorry to be so un-cool about the jargon.

I will keep those tires in mind now that I understand better better. However, right now if I spent one more nickel on that car my wife would most definitly string me up by my private parts. ouch!

Larry

·
Registered
109 Posts
I guess "squeezy-squeezy" was kinda lame anyhow. :confused

Just tell the wife that the tires are a big safety item, and that you are just trying to insure your well being. You know, something like that. Be creative.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your assuming I'd get a CHANCE to explain.

Besides, if I went on the safety thing, my wife would just get the insurance policy out and start reading the fine print to see how much she'd get for my demise.

--- Larry

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dotocomo said:
Larry, I may be moving to Chicago soon...who do you recommend i talk to buy/lease a GTO?
I am very happy with Navarrete Pontiac in Elgin. Ask for Jim Burgess if you make it out there.

---Larry

ps. I hope your coming from someplace even colder and nastier than Chicago, not some nice warm southern state...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts