Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I talked to Vic at Vic's Performance in Commerce Twp. Vic gets $1500.00 to assemble the engine on top of any machine work. He's backlogged until December or January.

D&S Engines/Motor City Muscle told me to bring them what I had so they could look at it and give me a price.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
May I suggest Impastato Racing Engines - Chesterfield Township
Chesterfield Township › Automotive Parts Store
Phone, (586) 749-0200 · Address. 56305 Precision Dr; Chesterfield Township 48051 ... Out of every "best" engine rebuilder out there, Vince was the best from my own personal experiences going back to 1984.

Talked to Vince. I got the impression that he didn't like that I was planning to come in with with already purchased parts rather than buying the parts from him and letting him mark them up 15%. I can totally understand that, as my dad used to operate a small business and didn't like when people tried to nickel and dime him only to have them get the wrong parts.

Vince was honest and said he does mostly high performance race stuff for regular customers who don't ask him for a price and just say: "Just get the job done", knowing that he's no going to take advantage of them.

So, I've crossed Impastato off the list. On the the next!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I gave Chuck's Engine Exchange a call. Nice guy, actually recommended someone else for what I want: Kinetic Racing, across the street in Westland. I talked to Chris at Kinetic. Nice guy, took the time to answer questions. $3,000.00 for assembly and machining with my parts.

http://kineticracingparts.com/about_us.php

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am glad you found a place that will fit your needs. I used to work for a well known Pontiac mechanic from Royal, back in the 80's, and Vince's shop was right next door when they were located in Clinton Twp. Some of the machine work was sent to Vince's because of the high quality work he did. I remember Vince "pulling his hair out" over mismatched connecting rods, used pistons, etc. being brought in and people expecting him to build a 10 second engine out of crap parts (not meaning you personally). So yup, I can see him wanting to do it that way. After I was screwed so many times by some of the "best" engine rebuilders, and spending thousands of dollars, and many hours wrenching/pulling engines and wondering if any of them knew how to use a mic, I personally found it easier and cheaper in the long run to pay a little more at the beginning, then to pay a lot more re-doing it later. Yes, he is a "higher end" machinist/rebuilder. And yes, I remember based on Vince's reputation of honesty and quality and seeing first hand his meticulous ways, giving him my engine/heads and just getting a "ballpark" estimate. I was never disappointed. I am still running the same engine/heads, he did for me back in 85(?) and I used to run the shit out of my 69' at Detroit and Milan dragway. I have been out of the loop for so long, that was the only engine rebuilder I could suggest with confidence. Sorry it didn't work out. Let us know who you finally decide to do your work and their quality.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have no doubt that Vince does great work (he really did remind me of my dear departed dad!) and I certainly didn't want to offend him. I just got the feeling that he shut me down as soon as I mentioned already having bought parts (wouldn't give me even a ballpark estimate if I bought the parts from him instead of providing my own). So much so that I asked the next guy if I should buy the parts myself or let him buy the parts, mark them up and charge me less for the machine and assembly work. The first guy I talked to told me to get the parts myself (as long as they were new) because I could save a couple hundred on sales tax that way.

I would never presume to question how a guy runs his business. They're going collect what they need to collect regardless of how they charge for it. My dad used to have a small music store. He made most of his money on repairs. He was up front with customers about having one rate for repair work for someone who bought the sax from him and a different rate for someone who bought the instrument online from a wholesale big box place and just brought the horn to him for repairs/overhauls. And working on that person's job in his one-man shop would also cause a bigger backlog for his regulars.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey Doug, is your motor stock? I'd like to hear the details.
Tom
Hey Tom,

No, not stock, sorry for the late reply. I was picking my dog up to put him in the truck and I tore my bicep tendon off the bone..... That led to surgery and not lifting anything for 6 months. I didn't have the motivation to look at the forums til now.... But now I'm back!

Final choices (I pulled the trigger and got the parts) was this:

.30 over 1968 400 block
Edelbrock 72cc round port heads
22 cc dished Ross pistons
Forged Scat crank
Forged Callies rods
Stock cast spreadbore intake
Quadrajet 850 cfm from Cliff Ruggles
Lunati hyd roller cam, .515/530 lift
4.25" stroke to 462 ci.
Probably going to start out with an HEI ignition.
Should be right around 10:1

Kinetic Racing in Westland, MI is doing the work.

I'll let you know how it comes out....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Tom,

How did your engine turn out from Kinetic? That's 5 minutes from my house. I have a 69 gto that I've considered having freshened up.

No, not stock, sorry for the late reply. I was picking my dog up to put him in the truck and I tore my bicep tendon off the bone..... That led to surgery and not lifting anything for 6 months. I didn't have the motivation to look at the forums til now.... But now I'm back!

Final choices (I pulled the trigger and got the parts) was this:

.30 over 1968 400 block
Edelbrock 72cc round port heads
22 cc dished Ross pistons
Forged Scat crank
Forged Callies rods
Stock cast spreadbore intake
Quadrajet 850 cfm from Cliff Ruggles
Lunati hyd roller cam, .515/530 lift
4.25" stroke to 462 ci.
Probably going to start out with an HEI ignition.
Should be right around 10:1

Kinetic Racing in Westland, MI is doing the work.

I'll let you know how it comes out....

21 - 29 of 29 Posts