Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright.....im about to get a 05 GTO......and.. i have about 2000 set aside for mods... the cosmetics on the GTO already looks good....ill put a Rhys Millen Race Body Kit on it later....but i want better performance i.e 0-60 and 1/4th mile times.....whats my best bet? and this is 2000 to use on parts....i can deal with install prices sep[eratly

·
Registered
78 Posts
GMM short throw shifter should be one of ur first mods... U will notice right away that the stock shifter has to go.

power wise... Kooks or SLP headers
Corsa or Borla Exhaust
K&N or Leigenfelter intake

besides that check out the forum...there is a lot of good advise here.

Welcome and happy hunting :party:

·
Registered
40 Posts
707GTOLS2 said:
Short Throw Shifter
CAI
Headers (LT)
Exhaust
cam
Nitrous
Springs
Shock & Struts
STB
Sway Bar
Bushings

Just a few of many Mods and routes you can go thru
Uh . . . he said he has $2000 plus installation . . . this looks more like about $3500? I only ask b/c I too am trying to get the best mods for my money, and limit the dough flying out the door.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If someone gave me a GTO and $2k and said make it as fast as possible, I'd probably go with headers, cam, tune and shifter. Realistically, you're not going to buy a lot with $2k, unfortunately. That's especially true if you go with LT Headers...they'll eat up a huge chunk of your budget. With shorty headers, it's possible to get a cam, tune and the shifter too, but the jury is still out on the horsepower gains. Most people believe that you'll get more with LTs, but it's more of a price vs performance thing for me.
For $2k, you could probably be fairly deep into the 12s in the quarter.
You could also go with nitrous instead of a cam, but then you only have part-time power.

·
Registered
95 Posts
baron_iv said:
If someone gave me a GTO and $2k and said make it as fast as possible, I'd probably go with headers, cam, tune and shifter. Realistically, you're not going to buy a lot with $2k, unfortunately. That's especially true if you go with LT Headers...they'll eat up a huge chunk of your budget. With shorty headers, it's possible to get a cam, tune and the shifter too, but the jury is still out on the horsepower gains. Most people believe that you'll get more with LTs, but it's more of a price vs performance thing for me.
For $2k, you could probably be fairly deep into the 12s in the quarter.
You could also go with nitrous instead of a cam, but then you only have part-time power.
For $2k, I would do this:

1. CAI
2. LTs
3. Cam
4. Tune
5. Remove Weight!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yeah, removing weight is free. The less your car weighs, the better it performs.
Thanks edysinger.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You're going to get as many opinions as there are different brands/types of exhaust.
There's a database of sounds of various exhaust systems here on the forums. I believe it's in the audio/video section. From there, you'll have a better idea of what they sound like.
Happy hunting.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I happen to like the magnaflow sound better, so there ya go...2 opinions, 2 different brands already. :)
The trend will continue.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Of that mod list, whose springs are you guys running?

JM

·
Registered
700 Posts
Springs as in suspension or valve springs? There are several choices for both.

·
Registered
700 Posts
XGTO said:
This car came allready with everything you need , don't worry just put High octane gas and don't worry, enjoy it!...
You can never have a woman that is TOO beautiful, you can never have TOO much money, nor can you ever have TOO much horsepower...
Mod that sucker!!!
:cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.