Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended the "Steel In Motion" event at the Union County Dragway, South Carolina, in August. It is typically held in the Spring, but it was postponed due to rain. The Spring meet seems to have a larger turn out as not as many cars or Gassers were in attendance- but was still a good show. This is an "old skool" event with 1970 and under cars only, and no Camaros or Mustangs allowed. No Christmas Tree start, just flag drop by several gals who rotated out as it was a little hot - and so were a couple of them. They do bring out the Christmas Tree when the Southeast Gasser's Association cars race as they compete against each other across the southeast at various tracks.

In attendance was the Beswick 1966 GTO. Here is a series of photos of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
Great pics Jim. And great car as well. I was in attendance several years back when they first brought it back from the dead.
IIRC it was Norwalk and it had just been painted but had no engine. I've never had the pleasure to see her in action.
Good Stuff for sure. Always been a fan of Arnie and all his machines. Rick Holladay is a personal friend and how I was first introduced to Arnie.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Did they change the location of the steering column (center of car)? Maybe it is just the angle of the picture. If they did indeed move it, that would make for some interesting linkages.....

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did they change the location of the steering column (center of car)? Maybe it is just the angle of the picture. If they did indeed move it, that would make for some interesting linkages.....
That is how funny cars are set up, driver sits in the middle. All that would be needed (if the original type steering box was retained) is another length if steel rod with a universal at each end to provide the angles needed to go from the center steering column back over to the steering box. Basic hot rodder stuff. The pics enclosed give you an idea of how this can be accomplished using these type pieces. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a nice collection of magazines from the 1960's and on up. Of course Pontiac & GTO's are included. Found a 1967 article on Arnie Beswick which I thought was interesting to add to this post - SS & DI, Feb. 1967.

Super Stock & Drag Illustrated is one of my favorite magazines. They covered the drag car scene. They had an East meets West drag championship on Nov 26 & 27, 1966 at Lions Drag Strip. The classes were Mr. Supercharged, Mr. Stocker (cars weighing under 2,500 lbs) and Mr. Stocker II (cars weighing over 2,500 lbs). Here is some of what they write about it:

"Arnie Beswick ("The Farmer") was plagued with transmission problems, two of them in fact. Jim Leiberman ("Jungle Jim") lost two third members in his his blown Chevy II. Dick Landy ("Dandy Dick") broke a crank on Saturday, and was mighty busy that night preparing for the next day of racing. Don Nicholson ("Dyno Don") was minus one C-6 transmission on an early Sunday warm-up run. Larry Reyes lost a rear-end in his "Kingfish" during the first round of Sunday eliminations. Lew Arrington's "Brutus" (1965 GTO) lost a blower Saturday. Steve Bovan caved in a cylinder wall Saturday on his blown Chevy II. Richard Schroder's "Bad Bossa Nova" lost an axle. Charlie Allen broke a drive shaft on his Atlantic Dodge Dart, and also a transmission. Ed Schartman and Ray Steffey burned two pistons in their Comet."

I would have been worth it to be a fan just to see all the carnage & destruction. Must have been exciting.

So here is more info on the Beswick car and its build. The body was a fiberglass shell made by Fiber Glass Limited of Stone Park, Illinois. The custom aluminum interior was done by Proto Products of Detroit, Illinois. The chassis was a 1966 GTO frame with the frame cut at the firewall and a tubular front end installed by Logghe Brothers. The engine is set back 25% and required Beswick to sit in the back seat. The engine was a 1967 4-bolt main 428CI fitted with a 1963 Super Duty crank, with Mickey Thompson forged pistons & rods, and stock Pontiac piston rings. Heads were 1963 Super Duty ported by E&R Automotive of Chicago, Illinois, and used Isky dual valve springs, pushrods, 550 flat tappet cam, & lifters. Mickey Thompson rocker arms were used. A Mickey Thompson intake is mounted with a 6-71 GMC blower using Enderle injectors and Cragar Industries supercharger drive. Fired by a Mallory Mini-mag and fumes exhausted by headers by Doug's. Transmission was a reworked 1965 Turbo Hydramatic and the rear-end was a Pontiac fitted with 3.90 gears.

The car weighed 2,375 pounds, cost $7,500 to build in 5 months. The engine runs on a blend of 65% alcohol and 35% nitromethane. The first time out, the car ran 8.59 @ 173.50 in the 1/4 mile.

"General Motors products, especially Pontiacs, are one of the most favored cars on the match race circuit by the spectators, and that is to whom the racer and promoter must cater."

01  Beswick.JPG
02  Beswick.JPG
03  Beswick.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts