Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the interstate yesterday (minding my own business), and I was movin' along pretty well, right up until I came up on this line of 3 cars...all of which were in the left lane...none of which were going much faster than the cars in the right lane (68mph in a 70mph zone). This happens to me ALL OF THE TIME, and it's one of those things that irritates me to no end. I was finally able to get around the rear two cars, and got behind the original offender...who, despite plenty of room in the right lane, decided to be a jerk and stay in the left lane. I got up on his bumper, which I admit was not a very cool thing to do, but at this point, he'd been slowing me down for nearly 10 minutes and I was getting a bit impatient because if I didn't get further south, I was going to get caught in the St. Louis rush-hour...which is downright nasty, and would have added an additional 30-45 minutes to my trip home. Anyway, when the right lane finally cleared and I decided that he was never gonna get over, I flipped on my bright lights (and they are VERY bright, since I added the HIDs), laid on my horn and flew around him on the right, 4 other cars followed me.

In a 3 hour drive, that happened to me 12 times...and only about half of the drive was on a 2-lane highway. 4 of those times, it happened on 4-lane highway, which made it just a bit easier to get around the idiot.

I don't know why cops don't pay attention to that kind of stuff. I never worked in an area where there was an interstate when I was a police officer, so I can't really say if it's something I would have noticed or not. There are signs posted every couple of miles which say "Slower cars must remain in right lane", and it IS Missouri Law that they must obey those signs. I have never seen, or heard of anyone getting a ticket for that. On the autobahn, you will receive a ticket for remaining in the left lane for any additional time after you've passed someone...you cannot drive in the left lane like people do here. I am a firm believer that one of these days, somebody is gonna come over into the right lane and hit my car, but am I expected to ALWAYS wait, even though someone is breaking the law? I am patient to an extent, but I have very little patience with stupidity.

Another thing that irks me is whenever someone pulls out in front of me (when they SEE me coming, and KNOW I'm going to have to slow down). This actually happens to me at least a couple of times every time I drive. No, I don't speed everywhere I go (I know there's someone thinking that). I just have the WORST luck when it comes to getting behind a jerk.

One other **HUGE** pet peeve of mine is when someone pulls out in front of me, and then makes an immediate left...causing me to come to a complete stop.

And last, but not least...the people who brake going down big hills, then decide not to give their car any gas until we've slowed down to way below the speed limit. I swear, this wastes a TREMENDOUS amount of gasoline around the world each year. If people would just use the common sense that *most* of us were given at birth, they'd realize that one could save a significant amount of gas by allowing the car to speed up going DOWN the hill, so that they will have enough momentum that they won't have to shift down and go to high-rpm driving to get UP the hill! This just seems like a big "DUH" moment to me.

Where has the courtesy gone? I've been driving for 15 years, and it seems to me that the level of courtesy on the road is fading away more each year. Are there just more jerks on the highway, or am I just noticing more now that I'm getting older and have less time to do things and less patience? Also, how do y'all deal with idiots like the ones described? What bugs YOU most when you're out there on the highways?

Feel free to let it all out. :cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
Been there, done that. I think the requirements for getting/maintaining a driver's license are getting less strict. That, or fewer people really care about quality driving. I wish the law allowed someone to pass as fast as possible, but any speed over the limit is a ticketable offense. I find myself trying to get around someone who is going a bit slower than me and then they speed up ever so slightly making it harder to get around them. I try to drive 5 over as that is a relatively safe "violation." Invariably, someone who thinks they drive the NASCAR circuit comes up behind me at 10+ over and does the tailgate, lights flashing thing to get me to move over. I'm already violating the law, and really don't feel like I should have to take anymore risk. I'd love to just be able to stomp it and get around the idiot and out of the other guy's way so that Mr. Occifer can bust him. If they just left 5 minutes earlier, then driving 80 wouldn't be needed.

·
Registered
730 Posts
i'm going to have to add the all famous "you should try driving my roads sometime" line before anyone else does. i agree with you that there are too many zombies in the gun and go lane that don't seem to realize there's an anchor dragging lane. what i also hate to see is an idiot in the gun and go lane playing dale earnhart "intimidator" swaying back and forth back and forth when with all that wasted motion they can blow past the zombie. i watched that once for about 2 miles then i had had enough, dropped her down to fourth, bye bye and the swayer saw he could get around as well but hung back for the next 30 miles of the trip even though i was in easy mode. i had a jerk on my tail once in a bonneville that i really really wasn't in any rush so i toyed with an a4 audi some and ended up blowing by this bonneville. well mr bonneville thought it was cool to draft on my rear at 100+ mph even after i got in the slow lane to allow mr nascar around. was a bad weekend for that, christmas holiday and all. let's see, usually i'm in a great mood driving until someone tailgates me, they play speed racer and try to intimidate everyone else or the traffic just won't allow the speed limit. 3 lanes of traffic at 20 mph below sucks. also the bumper to bumper method of preventing anyone into the gun and go lane. turn on your indicator and they close up faster than an aligator with a deer in his chompers. i could go on and on and on like when it rains here "our adverse weather" you have two schools of driving, slow down to mall cruising speeds or let's hydroplane to grandmother's house speeds. but then again with visibility approaching 2 ft (better at night time) i never know what is in front of you nor behind you until it's too late. o yeah also those folks that drive the merging lane like they never knew it was merging. like i've been driving this road for the past 30 years , wow when did they add that merging lane there? rascals. well i'll come up with some more later. "you should drive my roads some time' o yeah MAN holes not potholes because i never seen a pot that big. caudron maybe

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Bad driving is on the increase out here in California big time. The people that get in the left lane and drop anchor, the idiots who make a right on red with no clue about something called "rate of closure," the morons in their WRXs and STIs that absolutely, positively MUST HAVE to race at every opportunity no matter how many cars are around, the passive aggressives who putt along until you try to get by them, etc. are everywhere.

Thing is none of the state DMVs make people become good drivers in order to earn their license -- and all the cops do is ticket for speed and red lights.

The worst experience I've had in a long, long time happened last week. Was merging onto a freeway from a cloverleaf. On my left is several lanes of traffic. On my right is a ramp merging from another freeway -- with some a-hole teenage girl in her VW Golf blabbing on the phone. I see she isn't paying attention -- but I'm ahead of her so I figure it isn't a problem. What happens? She sees me, stomps on the gas, speeds up, then cuts across the front of me because her ramp is coming to an end. If I don't hit the brakes, I'm into her.

I swear I wanted to go catch up with that fat, pimply faced pig and spin her out -- but figured she wasn't worth the hassle. Will hopefully she her ugly mug in the obits soon.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that it's the idiots traveling at half the speed of smell who are causing all the problems. NOT the people who observe the speed limits, or break them by 5-10mph. On the interstate here, we have a minimum speed limit of 40, but it should be more like 60-65 if the speed limit is 70.

Another cool thing that's done on the autobahn is that tickets are priced based on income. On a documentary I saw a while back about the autobahn, a guy got a $250k ticket for parking on the side of the road...because all tickets are income-based. That would be an OUTSTANDING idea here. Or they could base the tickets on how stupid the act was...for example, driving in the left lane means you got your car confiscated, pulling out in front of someone and then making a turn, causing everyone behind you to stop means that you lose your license PERMANENTLY...stuff like that. ;)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
What I like to do with those left lane hoggers is this. First get right on there ass and flash my lights. If this fails I get in front of them and I slow to about 45 when they swerve over in the right lane to pass this jerk (in some kinda grand prix), I throw her in 3rd and burn away. The problem is that no drivers ed I have ever heard of teaches Interstate etiquette.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
All of the above get me.

Add on these:

The person that is behind you that passes you and slows down so you have to pass them. Then they speed up as you pass them, but if you get in behind them they slow back down.

The person that is flying along, and even though there isn't anyone behind you feels the need to pass you then dive in front of you. They then hit the brakes slow down and exit.

The person that feels the need to pull out right in front of you into the passing lane. They did this because they were driving 71 and the car ahead of them was driving 70. There was enough room between the car ahead and them they could have stayed put while you passed at 75-80, but no they have to get out from behind the car at 70.

The idiots in these monster sized bus platform motorhomes that drive into the mountains of Colorado and California on a winding 2 lane. They aren't able to go anywhere near the speed limit and they are so terrified of flipping off the road they really don't get to see anything. Usually they have a car in tow so they could have parked the bus somewhere safe and went exploring in the normal sized vehicle. What are these Q-tips thinking.

·
Registered
307 Posts
On a documentary I saw a while back about the autobahn, a guy got a $250k ticket for parking on the side of the road...because all tickets are income-based. That would be an OUTSTANDING idea here.
Not really, because the offenders in primer-and-bondo buckets of crap would never get ticketed, because $10 for the county/state/etc wouldn't be enough to make writing the ticket worth it. Police would target Mercedes and BMW drivers to get the big-buck fines, leaving the rustbucket drivers to do nearly anything short of demo-derby driving.

The worst experience I've had in a long, long time happened last week. Was merging onto a freeway from a cloverleaf. On my left is several lanes of traffic. On my right is a ramp merging from another freeway -- with some a-hole teenage girl in her VW Golf blabbing on the phone. I see she isn't paying attention -- but I'm ahead of her so I figure it isn't a problem. What happens? She sees me, stomps on the gas, speeds up, then cuts across the front of me because her ramp is coming to an end. If I don't hit the brakes, I'm into her.
Don't know if it is possible but it would be cool to build a universal cell phone transmitter, so when they cut you off you could tell them through their phone to hang the "F" up and pay attention.

I think the requirements for getting/maintaining a driver's license are getting less strict.
I think the requirements are the ability to drive forward 100 feet, stop, put the car in reverse, back up 100 feet, and turn off the car. Without running into anything.

It's not only bad drivers. Sometimes it is the highway engineering staff that sucks. Here in PA, many acceleration ramps are totally inadequate for cars with less than 400 HP. Just not enough room to get up to speed. Or sometimes completely nonexistent - for instance the inner loops of a cloverleaf not having continuous space between them, but instead being separated by a concrete bridge abutment. Whoever engineered THAT setup needs a good hard kick.

·
Registered
199 Posts
...It's not only bad drivers. Sometimes it is the highway engineering staff that sucks. Here in PA, many acceleration ramps are totally inadequate for cars with less than 400 HP. Just not enough room to get up to speed. Or sometimes completely nonexistent - for instance the inner loops of a cloverleaf not having continuous space between them, but instead being separated by a concrete bridge abutment. Whoever engineered THAT setup needs a good hard kick.

Having grown up in PA, I KNOW your pain (I-70/RT 51 comes to mind ...) come to think of it ... any of the I-70 interchanges in western PA....

I know the "speed up cause I put my turn signal on" crowd ... I didn't know they existed outside of KY.

I also know the "Parkers" ... the ones who get in the left lane and park the cruise control at the speed limit ... problem is, their speedo is out of cal, and they're actually going 5 under. (most cars sold today register under actual speed between 3 and 6 mph at 65. I think it's to accelerate the end of the warranty mileage-wise. speedo's can be +/- 10% and be considered acceptable by DOT. ... but that's a rant for another day)

Let me add trucks who pull out to pass on an uphill, knowing full well that they're only going 2 mph faster than the truck they're passing, and that they'll not be able to pass until after they crest the hill. and all the while, they're griping about all the dang four-wheelers on the road, and how THEY are God's gift to driving and highways ...

and "blinker missiles" ... those who turn on their turn signal as they start moving into your lane. they usually do a quick lane change, hence the 'missile' connotation

"impatiens" ... people who drive right up on my butt and then flash their brights expecting me to pull over to the right lane so that they can pass, when I'm already doing 15 or more over the posted limit(see lexus drivers). If you're in that much of a hurry, please, just pass me on the right. I'm probably staying in the left lane because I don't want to get stuck behind that 18 wheeler going 25 slower than me that's about 8 car lengths ahead of me, and there are about 6 people behind you who are nascar-ing it ... Flashing your brights behind me is a sure fire way to keep me in the left lane, and MAYBE even hit the coast button... Yes, I know, I'm bordering on being a Parker, but remember, I'm at 15 or more OVER, and belive me, that's not my indicated speed, that's actual ... I know my car.

My biggest peeve, however is people who just don't pay attention because they're "multi-tasking".

I average about 3K to 4K miles per month for work, and I've seen IT ALL....
-lady doing a puzzle book type puzzle (crossword puzzle?) on a 5 lane expressway DURING RUSH HOUR ..
-lady putting on eye makeup going 80+ in a ford Explorer (I 64)
-guy reading notes (sales charts) draped over his steering wheel on I-64
-guy reading the newspaper (propped up on the steering wheel) I've seen this one on all the interstates in and around Louisville, Lexington, Paducah, Evansville In, Mt Vernon Il, Cape Girardeau Mo, and everywhere in-between
-numerous idiots yakking away on the cell phone oblivious to all around them.
-Lexus drivers ... (see impatiens) nuff said

I'll get off the soapbox for now ... sorry for the long rant, but since I do so much driving as a part of my work, this thread really struck a nerve with me ...

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
WOW, not much more to add to this topic being I've experienced what everyone has here at one time or another.

In PA a law was enacted last year which mandates that all passive traffic is to be in the right lane, the left lane is only for passing, NOT for passive cruising. And here's the kicker, you are NOT TO PASS a car in the left lane that is over taking you. If you are caught in the right hand lane passing a car in the left you are subject to being ticketed for illegal passing. Makes sense don't it???? I haven't read at all of anyone being nailed for this. It's a joke anyway, most ignore it. I do ignore it at times when I am driving in the right lane and the lane is all chewed up, and I see the left lane as a smoother ride.

Pet Peeve in Roadway Traffic: Let's see...

Manhole covers that are below roadway surface.

Cell phones in cars dogfast to the driver's ear.

People who are on cell phones leaning over into the passengers seat to hear better :rolleyes:

People reading, shaving, plucking eyebrows and pasting schmotz on their faces as they are driving.

DOGS ON A DRIVERS LAP OR SHOULDER .

Tail-gators.

Driver's who lay so far back in their seats while driving it looks like they are lying down.

Driver's,TRUCKER'S in particular who hog the merge lane in a construction zone where the lane merges a mile down the road, creeping along preventing traffic to merge at the merge point. IT IS ILLEGAL TO DO THIS. Both lanes are to be open to the merge point. That's just the way it is. AT least in PA it's illegal.

Truckers who refuse to let you pass them and swerve lane to lane to prevent you from passing.

Dump Truck drivers who fail to clean the lip of the tailgate where stones and gravel accumulate and bounce off the roadway and your car.

ME..knowing there will be rush hour traffic ahead, but hoping there isn't and gets stuck in it anyway.

This is off the top of my head, I am sure I could add so much more once I think about it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This thread is turning out to be quite entertaining! I think the funniest thing I have ever seen someone doing while driving is playing a video game. He had one of those little nintendo devices...one hand on the wheel, one hand on the game...and I presume both EYES on the game, because he was swerving all over the place. I originally thought he was drunk when I came up behind him, so I looked over as I passed and there he was playing a freakin' video game.

I am one of those people who moves over from the fast lane if there is ANYONE going faster than me, even if it slows me down temporarily. I figure if someone is going faster than ME, they must *really* be in a hurry. Of course I also primarily drive in the right lane anyway, except to pass. The more of an angle I can put between me and the cop running radar in the left lane of the other side of the highway, the slower my speed will *appear* to be to the radar. So it's not purely a courtesy thing.

I would LOVE to get my GTO over to germany, and just DRIVE on a road without a speed limit, and with people who are forced to be courteous. I imagine it would be a great experience. I believe we need a cross-country road here, which has no speed limit. It would make a trip from here to vegas take only 10 hours...easily driven within a single day. Without the "forced" courtesy though, I'd inevitably end up behind some jerk doing 60mph, thinking he's toodling along "fast".

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just took a roadtrip from South Carolina to San Antonio Tx and back, and I ran into just about every person explained in the above threads.
I was boxed in by truckers and ended up following two or more semi-trucks driving side by side for miles at a time on several occasions. I somewhat understand, for they usually know where the highway patrol hangs out.
The old lady with the blinker on. :(
The guy with the BOOK on his steering wheel-- READING! :eek:
The ever-present phone talker. :mad:
The person that can't decide how fast they want to drive. You know, the accordion fast-slow-fast-slow guy. :confused
The one who seems to intentionally drive in your blind-spot. Don't entrap me :mad:
My #1: THE TOOLBOX THAT WON'T GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!!:shutme
Alright. It does not matter if you are driving 15mph below or 15 above the speed limit, GET THE HECK OUT OF THE WAY!!!!!! LOSE THE INFERIORITY COMPLEX and drive. It's a control thing for most people. Others it's being self-centered and arrogant (or ignorant)
Let me get this straight. You are in the left lane driving XX mph and you believe that anyone can simply go around you on the right because you don't want to go to the right lane to get slowed down by other traffic??? Was this theory thought through completely??
Please. Put the EGO aside and get over to the right lane while you're at it. It won't be your speeing ticket anyway, it will be mine if I happen to be driving faster than you! It's not a race either. You won't be hoisting a trophy and pouring milk on yourself when you reach your destination, so if someone passes you, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE OFFENSE. If someone is driving faster than me, I will gladly move over to let them pass, wether I'm in a hurry or not. And if the above mentioned vehicle decides to slow down, I would hope they provide me with the same courtesy and let me by. I've driven too long in Germany to not think this way. Yes, yes I know we ain't in Germay, we's in 'Merica. Just move over, it's that simple. Being that this is the GTO Forum, I have complete confidence in anyone here who wants to zip back into the fast lane to bypass the slower traffic after the I'm gone. So please, read the sign that says, "Slower traffic keep right"
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the nose-picking driver....:willy:

BTW despite my heartaches, I made this 1500 mile trip in only 16:20 on the way there and 16 hours flat on the way back.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey now, I can pick my nose without running off the road!!

Your story reminds me of something that happened on my last trip to vegas. I was with my father and one of my brothers. We got behind this truck doing 45mph in a 75mph zone. There was fairly heavy traffic in the right lane, but there was occasionally room for him to get over. He had a line behind him that was at LEAST a mile long. He parked in the left lane for nearly 15 minutes before FINALLY getting over. When he did, we were 2nd in line to get by him and I honked as I went by and my dad flipped the guy off from the passenger seat...I have NEVER seen my father show any kind of road rage, or ever flip someone off. The man has never said the f-word in his life and is what most people would consider to be a good, christian man. He is the picture of patience and civility. My brother and I laughed about him flipping the guy off for the rest of the trip. It just goes to show that you can piss anyone off by doing stupid things on the highway.

I had another run-in with truckers when I was younger, but this time it was mostly my fault because I was being a jerk. I got stuck behind a trucker who was going slow in the left lane, so when we finally did get around him, I had one friend hang his ass out the front window, another hang his ass out the back window and I flipped him off through the sunroof. I was in a fairly noticeable beretta indy car, so he called ahead and had two truckers get side-by-side and block me. They were doing 40mph on the interstate (and we were already running a bit late for a football game at Mizzou), and they just held us there for 10 minutes. I attempted to pull onto the smooth shoulder and pass, and the trucker swerved over there, they were NOT gonna allow us to pass, no matter what we did. The moral of the story is...don't piss off the truckers if you're in a hurry.

I find that if there is a slowpoke in the left lane, the right lane clears out, and there is 1.5-2 car lengths in front of the person in the left lane and the next car in the right lane, I can get around pretty much anybody if I'm in the GTO. It's not something I'd want to try to do in a daewoo though. I'd end up in a smashed pile of daewoo, smeared all over the road. The speed of the GTO affords me special privileges and opportunities that I wouldn't have with many other cars. It also allows me to pass in places which would be very unsafe for other, slower cars.

The speed-changers really tick me off too...I had nearly forgotten about them. Fortunately, they don't bother me as much in the GTO, because I can pass 95% of them. If someone wants to try to out-accelerate the GTO, they're often in for a very rude surprise. The people who usually pull this around here are rednecks in V8-powered or diesel trucks...neither of which stand a chance against the goat.

Speaking of miraculous times for traveling. I made it from Los Angeles to St. Louis, about 2200 miles, in 22 hours and 55 minutes. Realizing I couldn't go crazy during the day, I hauled ass at night, hitting up to 150mph in my Trans Am, back in the mid 90s. That was one fun, and FAST trip. It took me 27 hours to get there, and I got a ticket on the way...some jerk cop wrote me a ticket on my HONEYMOON!! That was one helluva wedding present from the state of New Mexico. Fortunately, I had slowed down to 78mph from 125, when I saw him. Out there in the middle of the desert, you just don't expect to see cops, but they're there!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I may have been misunderstood.... I don't hang in the left lane at +15. What I meant was, If I AM in the left (passing other, slower vehicles, obviously), and I am at +15 or more, I won't pull over into the slower traffic to let some a-hole pass by on the left, just cause he thinks he's hot stuff and has zoomed up on my butt and flashed his brites at me, and assumes he's in more of a hurry than I.

It's not an inferiority complex, (ok maybe a control thing, I am A/R / O/C ), it's facts of life. My goat is not my daily driver, so I don't have tons of torque at my disposal. I've got a 150+ hp 4 banger in a 2500 lb car. If you can maneuver around me in that 8 or so car lengths, so be it, get your butt moving and get over it, cause I'm still not moving over if the right lane traffic will slow me down, and you've got a bunch of good time charlies drafting you so that they don't get the ticket.

also, a word to the wise ... if you're behind me, and I'm in the left lane, watch your speed when I pull over to let you pass me ... I usually tend to do that when I'm within radar distance of the state police. I've seen a FEW ppl pulled over after zooming past someone who caused them a temporary delay ...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had another long-winded post, but somehow I lost it before I was able to submit. There were a few other drivers that I wanted to adress, i.e. the slalom driver, road ragers, the person waiting to turn onto a main street from a parking lot that sticks the nose of the car out into the flow of traffic, the guy who "swings the wagon wide" to make a turn, double parkers, the list goes on and on.
It's obvious that this topic strikes a nerve with me. But please, BobG don't think I was talking about any single person, I was venting on events that I've experienced personally. Mudslinging online is way too uncool, especially for this forum. But if I offended anyone in the meantime....uh, oh well.
From 1995 to 2001 my only means of transportation was a '68 Camaro. '01 to '04, a Dodge Ram 1500. And '04- present is the Goat. And given the first and last vehicle, I really should be used to certain drivers and driving conditions, i.e. the ones who always wanna race.... The Camaro and GTO were fast, but I am not putting myself above any other type of car-owner. I'm an Air Force Sergeant, so it's not like I could go buy a McLaren either. But with that big truck, I certainly had to readjust my driving style to match the performance of the vehicle. I know I'm certainly not a perfect driver and I may very well be guilty of some of the tags I've stated. I know that it would be a boring road if everyone out there was the perfect driver! But there is a certain point in which everyone shouldn't cross. I've had my share of accidents due to sheer dumb driving, both on my part and the other drivers'. And in June of 2000 A car accident left me with a broken C-7 vertebra and many months of rehab. I try my best to pay attention to the road, and in my two-thread bitch-session, I guess I was hoping that others would do the same! :cheers

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I on the interstate I usually set the cruise at 6-7 mph over the speed limit if there's not bumper to bumper traffic (the only way I can keep it under 95 with my lead foot :lol: )

My biggest problem is those people out there with the radar detectors who feel the need to drive 15+ over until they get a blip, and then slam on their brakes and whip it into the right lane, usually right in front of me. They then slow quickly all the way down to the posted speed limit. I pass them and then about 5 miles later they go flying by me again after the "threat" has been avoided. This happened to me about 7 times with the same car (a hemi 300C) in a 200 mile drive one Saturday afternoon.

And I, too, hate the people who you pass, and then they speed up and pass you, and so on. It seems to be especially noticeable with the lower horsepower cars, because every time there's a hill my cruise control powers me right past them, and then they go flying by me on the downhill (like a tractor-trailer).

My opinion on the concept of owning a radar detector is for another time...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have given up all hope of any form of courtesy on the road. It's a sad day when more people are being UNcourteous than courteous. It's not just road courtesy though, I don't see people holding doors for others as much anymore, and I never see someone helping an old lady across the street, so maybe it's a whole cultural problem which has nothing to do with the road. Nobody's allowed to be a boy scout anymore because that organization isn't politically correct. Short people are height challenged, tall people are height enhanced, fat people are horizontally blessed, dumb people are educationally challenged, the garbage man is how a sanitation specialist, EVERYONE is a consultant, the words "white", "indian" and "black" are being erased from our vocabulary, women are now womyn, so they don't have to be associated with men/man, you must watch EVERYTHING you say so as not to offend someone (and inevitably, you're still gonna offend *somebody* out there), etc...it's all enough to make me mental health-impaired!!! :willy:

Life (and vocabulary) was so much easier when I was a kid!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I hate to beat a dead horse but I'm with all of you on the left lane losers... I don't flash my lights or ride too close those (but I want to). Usually I will pass on the right when it's clear. The past week has been especially bad for me though. I was in the left lane doing 80 - 85 coming up on a onramp. A car followed by a truck were merging quite a ways in front of me. I could tell he was riding the cars rear... and right as I came up on them. BOOM he juts over right out in front of me forcing me to hit my brakes. I did flash the brights at him for that, he sped up and got over in the right lane. As I past him, he flahsed me! WTH? Then he tried to draft me...which I put a stop to..or should I say a "go" to... :)
Last night then on the way home, I'm MMOB and I come up on a highly modified Honda Civic... pure rice. He's going 60 so I stay behind him at a decent distance. He slows down... 55... 50... I didn't pass cause I thought he may be turning. Once it was clear, and obvious he was just going slow, I decided to pass. As soon as I got even with his rear bumper the a$$ floor's his car. I'm in 5th, but downshift to 4th and give him a dirty look (there was traffic ahead in both lanes... I pulled decent on him in 4th ~ 80 (looking back I should've gone to 3rd) and got in front of him, then of course we had to hit the brakes. I didn't want to "race", but he wouldn't let me back in the right lane. It's stuff like that, that makes me a more aggressive driver...

·
Registered
199 Posts
... I was in the left lane doing 80 - 85 coming up on a onramp. A car followed by a truck were merging quite a ways in front of me. I could tell he was riding the cars rear... and right as I came up on them. BOOM he juts over right out in front of me forcing me to hit my brakes. I did flash the brights at him for that, ...

I probably would have done the same.

t0ny, I was clarifying what I had said, and didn't take it too personally. I DO try and make sure that I'm not holding anyone up. The ones I don't mind holding up are those who ZOOM up on my butt, (drafting distance ... less than 1/4 car length), wait about 3 seconds, then start flashing their brights and moving to the left to see what's holding me up ... I saw one of them today, although I wasn't the victim this time, as I was in the right lane doing about 68. The aggressor, in this case, was a very large and impatient F350 Stakebed truck, and he was being downright dangerous.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Unfortunately, that C7 problem is now with you for life. (My sister was rear ended in a Nissan Pulsar over 20 yrs ago, and she's still almost always in pain).

And I agree, no one is perfect.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hpl

Here is my dream:
A High Performance Lane on the major freeways in CAL.

1. Must be two lanes wide, limited access like HOV lane is now
2. Car must carry special tags that attest to its inspection, speed rated rubber, ABS. etc.
3. Driver must pass an advanced driver skills test, carry a special class of license.

No speed limit.

Then I wake up. Dammit

1 - 20 of 32 Posts