Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it any real shock that I got a black goat? Here's my gal Pepper.

She's a nine-month-old pure bred Lab....and she matches the new car. A nine-month-old 80 lb puppy is just about as hard to control as my new car!

Gerry

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hehe, I think it would have been more ironic if you actually owned a black goat (the animal) to go with your black Goat (the car). But, not too many people have goats as pets. Dog's cute. Just watch for her taking her teeth to your Goat's leather. :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clueless said:
Hehe, I think it would have been more ironic if you actually owned a black goat (the animal) to go with your black Goat (the car). But, not too many people have goats as pets. Dog's cute. Just watch for her taking her teeth to your Goat's leather. :D
Yeah, I thought that would have been the killer picture to post, but I love my Lab and don't have a real goat. And then I started thinking about the Led Zepplin tune "Black Dog". "Hey, hey momma say the way you move, gonna' make you sweat gonna make you grove!" That's my car.

I can't wait to take a few pics of my ladies together. The Lab is headed to boot camp tomorrow. And before you ask...I'm driving either my Bonnie or my father-in-law's Yukon :lol:

Gerry

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Black Labs- - have to be the smartest, and best mannered dogs on the planet.

We had one for nearly 15 years; all our kids grew up with her. Couldn't ask for a better dog.

About 6 months after we had to put her down (cancers) we got another black lab mix from a shelter. She had been abused, and unfortunately, I don't think she will ever be normal. After nearly 2 years, she still tucks her tail, and drops her head when approaching us. Give her a petting and a kind word, and then she responds, but it's like that every day.

I'd like to take a club to the guy that made her that way.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
noz34me said:
Black Labs- - have to be the smartest, and best mannered dogs on the planet.

We had one for nearly 15 years; all our kids grew up with her. Couldn't ask for a better dog.

About 6 months after we had to put her down (cancers) we got another black lab mix from a shelter. She had been abused, and unfortunately, I don't think she will ever be normal. After nearly 2 years, she still tucks her tail, and drops her head when approaching us. Give her a petting and a kind word, and then she responds, but it's like that every day.

I'd like to take a club to the guy that made her that way.
I couldn't agree with that sentiment more. It broke my heart to drop her off at a professional trainer this morning. With a new goat and all, I can't really afford it, but we live close enough to a road where I don't want her to bolt (she does it with my wife and daughter), and she get's so excited when people come over, she makes kids uncomfortable. Afford it or not, if she comes back as well-mannered as the dogs I met today, we're all going to be happy. All she wants to do is play play play!

I can't wait to take some pics with her and the car...will probably have one up for my avitar thingie in short order. In the mean time, I learned quite a few things today:

1. Don't trust on-line mapping software to be correct - and buy a good old atlas.
2. If you're going anywhere in Jefferson County, MO don't go without complete directions to where you're going (unless you have a day to waste).
3. If violating #2, rest assured you will lose a wheel bearing…and your cell phone will not work.
4. It would be wise to school the people who answer the phones for your business to know basic “north or south” from every major road in the area, especially when “I’m trying to think if that’s north or sou….” Gets cut off ;-)
5. A Labrador retriever is capable of inflicting more hearing damage than Judas Priest
6. Even while #5 is going on, some guy in Jefferson County will still yell directions to you if you ask. If you can actually find someone in JeffCo. to give you directions that is.
7. There are quite a few people in JeffCo that feel it appropriate to honk and try to run you off the road if #3 is occurring, causing more of #5, even if you are doing the speed limit.
8. It takes a lot longer to get back home when it sounds like a wheel is about to fall off your car (slight exaggeration there…I’ve heard worse)
9. Sometimes it pays to just trust a mechanic and your own inner voice, and take your father-in-law’s car instead.
10. I love my dog so much, I’d be willing to sign a piece of paper stating if she gets hurt and I cannot be reached, I’ll pay anything to save her life.

I agree with you about the breed too...she doesn't have to speak. I can see her thoughts through her eyes. I got mine from a highly recommended breeder because I wanted a pup I could raise and avoid what you have to go through. That would break my heart. I do praise anyone who gets a rescue animal and gives it a good life. And Pepper? I've uttered the words, "Good Girl" about a billion times over the last nine months. If she does something wrong, it's not her fault...I just have not done my job as well as I could have.

Later,
Gerry

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MoreMoonShine said:
Wow....could she be ANY more comfortable??? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Yeah, and much like with a child, when they first come into your life, they do a lot of sleeping and are just adorable. Then....you wish they would sleep more! :lol: But soon after that, you will be rewarded for what you teach them from day one.

In our case, it is showering them with love and affection, being 100% unified as parents, and telling them every chance you get how much you love them. That seems to work for both dogs and kids.

Gerry

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree that labs make good pets--especially for kids. Labs and kids seem to go well together. When I was a kid, my grandfather had a black lab, and myself and the other grandkids would often play with that dog. He was always glad to play with us grandkids, and was protective of us, too.

Pets, regardless of type of pet, can be just like family members. Unfortunately there are some people--usually not pet owners--who cannot see that and appreciate that, "it's just a dog" or "it was a bird, what did you expect" if a pet dies or gets injured. But pets can share happiness in their own way, they just don't speak English to tell us. To someone who pays attention, they speak in their own way.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Clueless said:
I agree that labs make good pets--especially for kids. Labs and kids seem to go well together. When I was a kid, my grandfather had a black lab, and myself and the other grandkids would often play with that dog. He was always glad to play with us grandkids, and was protective of us, too.

Pets, regardless of type of pet, can be just like family members. Unfortunately there are some people--usually not pet owners--who cannot see that and appreciate that, "it's just a dog" or "it was a bird, what did you expect" if a pet dies or gets injured. But pets can share happiness in their own way, they just don't speak English to tell us. To someone who pays attention, they speak in their own way.
:agree There are some things I will kill unconditonally without remorse...skeeters, ticks, black widows, brown recluses, copper heads, and cotton mouths to name a few. Other than that, I hate to see even a mouse die. I didn't even like when a short time ago, a hognose snake met the business end of my Stihl trimmer.

I was raised a farm boy, so I know s*** happens, but I still live with the same values you've stated. Can I buy you a cold beverage if we ever meet :cheers I think your handle doesn't fit you at all.

Gerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.