Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed there's a little blister next to the "5" on the shift pattern on top of my shifter. It'll squish in and out if I poke it with my fingernail.

I'm assuming this'll only get worse over time, what with Arizona's hellish summer temps. So will fixing this be as easy as popping off the metal insert on the shifter knob, or will the dealer have to rip out half the interior of my car?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
raven1124 said:
They should replace it if you make enough fuss about it.
Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease though, know what I mean? What worries me is just how much stuff they'll have to mess with to fix what seems like a relatively small (but annoying) problem. If the metallic trim part just pops off and can be replaced, great; if they'd have to take apart the whole center console . . . well, I'm not so fond of that idea.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
HERE'S WHAT THEY WILL DO:
They will get a flat head screwdriver and snap the shift boot out of the consil, which will expose 2 15mm bolts which, when removed will free the shift knob/throw rod assembly. The whole job can be done in under 5 minutes with a screwdriver and a 15mm wrench.:cool

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know about the manual shifters, I had the blistering on my auto button. I pointed it out to my dealer, they ordered me a new one. The button just pops right off with two small flat head screwdrivers.Just insert the screwdrivers along each side of the shift button and it pryes right off. I priced the button it was under 6 dollars. I hope this helps.:cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.