Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been 3 full days since I took delivery of my new '06 Torrid/Red A4 and with each day and each mile I continue to be blown away.

The latest thing to make me drool even more.....catching rubber in multiple gears......in an automatic!!

Moving at 35 MPH and punching the pedal results in a downshift to 1st and the tires catching rubber. Then as it shifts at about 45 MPH it catches AGAIN. This from an auto and I wasnt doing any shifting.

This car is just amazing. The ride, the comfort, the pure balls to the wall power available whenever I want it.

While driving with the wife on Sunday I saw a spice red goat at a gas station. I pulled next to him (I didnt need gas just wanted to say hello) and the car had the factory sticker on it. The guy was on a test drive and said he was choosing between the GTO and a Cobra Mustang. I told him that the GTO was the superior vehicle and as the salesman sitting next to him smiled I said..."and I will show you why"

I turned off the traction control, pulled towards the gas station exit and punched it. The engine ROARED, the back end slid out and I screamed up the street squealing and smoking all the way down the road.

Now, I dont know if he ended up buying the GTO but I know I gave him something to think about. I figured if the salesman wouldnt let him open it up on a testdrive I might as well give him a show of what this car can do.

All the while I was dreaming of owning a GTO I always had the thought in the back of my mind that "reality rarely ever meets the expectations of your dreams and fantasies." Well, I am here to tell you that this is one time that reality has EXCEEDED my dream and fantasy of owning this car.

I continue to be blown away every day, every mile. Man I love the Aussies ;)

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
260 Posts
congrats on your power ride!!!!! I've had mine for over a year now and still love it same as the first day.Yes its awesome when you can hear those tires grab,on an automatic.Glad you showed that guy what it can do,you should go back to the dealer and ask if he bought it!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Nice story of how well you like the car. :)

One thing that continues to impress me with this car (I have the M6) is how I can be in 6th gear, cruising on the highway doing normal driving, and if I need to speed up a bit--say I was behind someone slow and they turned off so now I can speed up some, or I need to pass someone but it isn't real tight to where I need to accelerate fast--I can gently press the gas pedal in, and actually get reasonable acceleration without having to floor it while in 6th gear!

I've had experience before driving 4cyl stick shifts, and generally I could just forget about even thinking of trying to accelerate while in top gear. Even downshifted one gear in those cars, often it was pathetic trying to accelerate from 60mph +; I suppose the lack of torque was showing. But the Goat just lets me accelerate easily in top gear (granted I'm not talking about the kind of acceleration you would want to do to race someone).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.