Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FC402DA6-4875-47AA-8055-85D2E1C71245.jpeg
everything is good except the nose alignment. Could it be that the body needs to be shifted forward? This is a frame off restoration and the nose is just not lining up!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
My 2 cents would not think it was body chassis issue,you would have other alignment issues. The fenders and hood look spot on.tried the bumper support brackets?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what to do. Thinking about grinding out the slots on the bumper mount. Don’t know what else we can do!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Is the door fender gap good,send a pic if you could also I would check the front valence if you had help to stick on there to see what it is doing

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Looks like the body is dead on you may have to try what you we’re talking about, took me 2 weeks on my 72 to get her straight, included a pic to hopefully help

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Smith. Maybe you've solved the problem by now but if still looking at it, this should be helpful. The factory provided alignment holes to position the body exactly on the chassis; I've made good use of this with several 64-67 body-offs. However, have not done 68 and up but I believe they would be the same. All you need is a foot long piece of 5/8 round-stock. From under the car, passenger side, you insert it in the alignment hole in the area where the chassis kicks inward at the base of the firewall. The 5/8 rod travels up through the chassis and passes out a corresponding hole on top... and then it should enter the body's alignment hole, which is seen thru the window of the body bushing brace. When the rod successfully passes thru the chassis holes and into the body alignment hole, the body is aligned. The photos show this clearly. Also, I recently used this to keep the body aligned when I replaced all the old tired body bushings on my '67 goat. I removed all the body bolts... jacked one side, then the other, using my floor jack and a piece of 2x4 under the rocker... and had the 5/8 rod handy to maintain alignment - piece of cake. Good luck. Gary in Tucson

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is amazing information! I will give that a try! When I put the body on I thought hey the mounts lined up with holes in the frame so it must be right!
thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts