Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, should be taking the body off the frame soon on my 69 vert, and ive seen a lot of people talking about bracing the body before removing it from the frame on their builds. should I do that to mine? the body is in good solid shape, and I only need to weld in one patch panel under the back seat. I just think it is overkill but if I do need to do bracing, where and how should I do it?

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Hey guys, should be taking the body off the frame soon on my 69 vert, and ive seen a lot of people talking about bracing the body before removing it from the frame on their builds. should I do that to mine? the body is in good solid shape, and I only need to weld in one patch panel under the back seat. I just think it is overkill but if I do need to do bracing, where and how should I do it?
It may be overkill. If you don't plan on taking the doors off or opening them, you may be OK. It also depends on where/how you support the body while it is off. You don't want to support it by putting something under the firewall and then at the rear as this will force the cars weight toward the center and could cause buckling. If you don't plan on flipping the car to blast/clean/paint the underside, then you should be OK. If you plan on moving the body around or flipping it any, then you should weld in braces. Not a GTO, but gives you and idea of what you may need for bracing: Removing convertible body-bracing? - ChevyTalk - FREE Restoration and Repair Help for your Chevrolet

If all you have is one patch panel under the back seat, do this once you have the body back on the frame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts